PDA

View Full Version : Thesis Help

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

SparciaM
March 31st, 2003, 09:25 AM
I am writing a thesis on the popularity of The Simpsons in relation to a contemporary world and a post-modern culture (basic outline) and really want a non simpsons quote to go at the front of my thesis. Something that says something, or tells you something about popularity.
Like in most books where they quote another author or a poem, i wanna do that but it has to link into popularity and/or popular culture.

Can anyone give any suggestions? I'm stuck at the mo and the deadline for the thesis is one month away. So really need to find this soon!

Thanks

Pluvious
March 31st, 2003, 03:49 PM
You can do a search for quotes online. Here are a couple I found.

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform." — Mark Twain, 19th-century American humorist, author and journalist

“When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity for him. All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.” — H. L. Mencken, 20th-century American journalist and humorist

And to some men popularity is always suspicious. Enjoying none themselves, they are prone to suspect the validity of those attainments which command it.
- George Henry Lewes, The Spanish Drama (ch. III

Their is no defense against criticism except obscurity.

Joseph Addison

Even the best things are not equal to their fame.

Henry David Thoreau

"Every heart ought to rejoice when true merit is distinguished with publick notice."
Johnson: Idler #6 (May 20, 1758)

choppy
March 31st, 2003, 05:32 PM
Here's the one I used for my M.Sc. thesis:

"If possible, try to find a way to come downstairs that doesn't involve going bump, bump, bump on the back of your head."
- A.A. Milne (Winnie the Pooh author)

I suppose that was a little more relevant to electron-ion collisions in a laser heated plasma, but I thought I'd share.

Cheers.