PDA

View Full Version : Vertigo

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
March 31st, 2003, 11:17 AM
Anyone read anything from Vertigo? I use to read a few titles from them, and then just drifted away from them. Sandman being one of them. So, the other day, I decided to re-read (re-view) a mini from them called The System. Excellent series.

Anyways, got me thinking about picking a title from Vertigo to start reading again. So, any suggestions?

I've been looking at Lucifer, it looks rather interesting..

Keyoke

fluffy bunny
March 31st, 2003, 11:33 AM
Vertigo's got some good titles these days:

Lucifer- sandman spin off. If you haven't read sandman (not essential to understand lucifer), here's the quick synopsis- Lucifer's pissed off by being bossed around by the lord almighty. Run hell etc, not being in contol of his own destiny. So he just quits, and runs a bar in LA, enjoying his retirement. From there, massive arc plot run through the comics. Easily vertigo's best book at the moment- to understand it properly, you need to read from the 1st trade on - don't judge by the 1st trade alone though- (setting up the groundwork for the rest of the series - the same way if you just read Sandman: preludes u'd be pretty disappointed). There are one or 2 stories that are simply good as a pose to excellent, but it's worth checking out.

Y-the Last Man- the adolescent male dream of what would happen if he was the last male on earth. Lovely artwork, intelligent story. And a monkey. What more could you ask for? Definitely have a read through at least the 1st trade. I'd highly recommend it.

Fables (though I'm debating dropping it though since the prose isn't quite so good on the 2nd read through)- fairy tale characters moved to NY. Worth looking up.

Warewolf
March 31st, 2003, 02:14 PM
I second both Y and Fables. Intelligent, thought provoking stuff. I recommend Y over Fables simply because I enjoy it more.

Two other series that are supposed to be out later this year are The Losers (which is a military thriller) and The Wintermen (ex-Russian superhuman test subjects escape from the lab...or something along those lines...after the fall of the Soviet regime).

fluffy bunny
December 21st, 2003, 12:30 PM
Losers is a good read so far IMHO. Another book you may want to check out (though strictly it's Wildstorm not Vertigo) is the noirish Sleeper- I couldn't quite do justice to it describing it here, so here's a link to the 1st tpb:

http://www.thefourthrail.com/reviews/snapjudgments/121503/sleeperoutinthecold.shtml