View Full Version : Fritz Leiber's change of tone

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

BigBadMick
April 3rd, 2003, 02:21 AM
SPOILERS!!!
Only read further if you have read the Fafhrd and Gray Mouser titled "The Mouser Goes Below" by Fritz Leiber.
I've just finished reading volume 2 of the Fantasy Masterworks collection of Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories and I was struck by the various crudities contained in the very last story "The Mouser Goes Below".

In all the previous Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories any reference to sexual activity between the two heroes and their various paramours was couched in relatively suggestive, though not explicit, language. In "The Mouse Goes Below" however, Leiber seems to pull out all the stops in explicit detail, between the lesbian S & M scene which the Mouser secretly spies on between his old lover Hisvet and her two female servants and the details of the girl Fingers' previous employment on a boat with her teacher "Hot Hands."

Is there a reason for this sudden change in tone in this last Fafhrd and Gray Mouser story? I've heard that Leiber struggled with an alcohol problem for most of his life - has this got something to do with it? Was he pissed (i.e. drunk) when he wrote it, or did he finally get tired of writing Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories and decide to pull out all the stops in crudity to see just how much he could get away with now that the two characters were a well established part of the fantasy genre?

Don't get me wrong - I really like Leiber's Fafhrd and Gray Mouser stories and after reading this two volume collection I've come to realise why they're such popular, established classics of the fantasy genre - I'm merely curious as to the reasons behind this change in tone in the final story.

Anybody got any ideas?

BigBadMick
(bigbadmick2000@hotmail.com)

BigBadMick
April 4th, 2003, 02:19 AM
A whole day and no replies!

I guess nobody's read "The Mouser Goes Below" then!!! :(

Ba humbug.

BigBadMick
(bigbadmick2000@hotmail.com)

Rob B
April 4th, 2003, 08:40 AM
Patience grasshopper.

I've only read what equivocates to the first volume in the Fantasy Masterworks, so I can't help, but perhaps somebody else can help.