PDA

View Full Version : Anime recommendations?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Angelique
April 3rd, 2003, 01:23 PM
Could someone please recommend some anime that I could watch? I have never watched any anime before. I am considering watching a few. I like shows with supernatural themes, like horror. I also like science fiction and fantasy. Thank you for any suggestions and recommendations.:)

trentdick2882
April 3rd, 2003, 02:29 PM
akira, ghost in the shell, ninja scroll

Twelve
April 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
If you like fantasy anime, you MUST check out the LODOSS series. Also, you must see Princess Mononoke.
Kenshin is also a very, very, very fun series.

Angelique
April 3rd, 2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Twelve
If you like fantasy anime, you MUST check out the LODOSS series. Also, you must see Princess Mononoke.
Kenshin is also a very, very, very fun series.

What are they about?

saintjon
April 3rd, 2003, 08:51 PM
Mononoke's a cautionary tale about humans with tech vs. nature.

Kenshin's about a master swordsman trying to leave behind his past life of violence.

I haven't seen Lodoss, heard mixed things about it.

Akira's about the collapse of society in a rebuilt Tokyo as a young man goes insane when he attains incredible psionic powers.

Ninja Scroll is about a lone swordsman facing off against the Eight Devils of Kimone (violent sweetness, one of the best action flicks ever)

Ghost in the Shell is a sci-fi flick which explores how much we can remain human despite having most of our bodies replaced by mechanical parts (animation is simply astounding)

My recommendations:

Spirited Away (or anything by Studio Ghibli, who also did Mononoke): a modern fantasy reminiscent of Alice in Wonderland. You must see it to believe how good it is!

Cowboy Bebop: Best tv series ever. Defies genres, as it is a cross between film noir, sci-fi, western and laden with jazzy coolness. Sharp writing, tight animation and memorable characters.

Spriggan: Good lord, those are some sweet fight scenes. Indiana Jones meets the Matrix. This flick is to gun battles what Ninja Scroll and the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs are to sword-fighting. Watching somebody punch a van in half is strangely gratifying :D.

Macross Plus: In a just world, this movie would have taken the place of Armageddon in the people's hearts and the amount of money it made. Oh well, let the people have their crap I guess.

A Wind Named Amnesia: Good concept. Everyone on earth forgets everything. One guy has to go around trying to remind humanity of greatness which it never possessed, depending on your viewpoint.

Grave of the Fireflies: Watch only if you're ready to cry lots. Cuz you will cry lots.

Dominus
April 4th, 2003, 06:10 AM
I've also been interested in watching some anime, one of my teachers (he's really cool :)) recommended the LODOSS series. But, I was wondering where I could rent them rather than buy them.

Angelique
April 4th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Thank you, saintjon.:)

fluffy bunny
April 4th, 2003, 08:53 AM
Princess Mononoke
Grave of the Fireflies
Jin-Roh the Wolf Brigade
The escaflone series is also pretty good.

Angelique
April 4th, 2003, 09:04 AM
What are they about, fluffy bunny?:)

fluffy bunny
April 4th, 2003, 12:13 PM
here u go (pretty much reflects my opinion on most of them)

http://www.animecritic.com/reviews-rating.html