PDA

View Full Version : Writer's websites - do you have one?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Gravity's End
April 3rd, 2003, 02:42 PM
Hi all,

I've been working with a friend on developing a website devoted to my book/s, and I was just curious if anyone here has their own site for their book or books, and if so, can you tell me how much traffic you get on average? Thanks.

I, Brian
April 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Hi there -

Yes, I have my own site:

http://www.chroniclesofempire.net

I'm looking at my stats now (in another window) and for the past four complete months I've been averaging 1600-1700 unique visitors a month.

As far as I'm concerned that's much better than most will. I have a couple of hooks which helps with the traffic:

1/ Music tied in from mp3.com (now dying due to changes over there, but it's a referrer)

2/ 750 page encyclopaedia, giving background to my writing - these pages are easily picked up by search engines.

3/ I've made a bloody hard job of generally promoting it over the past 18 months.

Generally, though, you should expect pretty poor traffic - I mean, really, why should anybody visit a unpublished author site? If you really want to promote it then you've really got to get a marketing head on your shoulders. Even then, unless you've got something hard to sell, there's nothing to profit with. I'm figuring that getting the word out is supposed to help in the long-term.

EDIT - I'm also planning to expand my site into certain targeted market areas, to help with the search engine hits.

EDIT2 - I am also building a wolrd religious resource site - opened yesterday - and placed a link to my writing site on every single page. This may help boost the search ranking for my writer site with regards to specific search queries - and specifically, it may help drive target traffic to it by expanding its general exposure.