PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Writers Wanted !

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

freshwriting
April 5th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Posting to let you know about a new site we're launching.

Freshwriting.com provides a home for quality new writing on the web. We’re very different to hobby sites like stories.com – our authors have to submit their work, and if we like it then one of our editors will work with them until their piece is as good as it can be - before it gets put up on the site. We don’t plan to make any money – we don’t ask for any rights in the work, and we won’t try and sell you anything, or have adverts on the site. It really is just about the writing.
The idea is to create a body of interesting, innovative new work on the web. All genres accepted from erotica through to magical realism – a one-stop shop where readers, writers and publishers can go for a good read, and be guaranteed to find something to interest them. Eventually, we want the site to become a ‘talent shop’ – where people can come to scout for the next big thing – and possibly offer him or her a publishing deal!
We’re currently looking for submissions – we’ll consider anything and everything, as long as it is high quality, innovative writing. For further information and submissions guidelines, please go to www.freshwriting.com

mistri
April 5th, 2003, 12:06 PM
But you do know that although you haven't asked for any 'rights' the fact that you publish it on your site will mean that first rights have automatically been lost i.e. the author will not be able to sell first rights at a later date. So if they give you work that they'd still like to try selling they'll lose money or not be able to sell it at all.

Sorry for sounding tetchy, but I'm very defensive of writers rights, especially when they may not realising they lose them. If writers know the facts and just want to get their stuff in the public eye, then your site may be fine.

Sirand
April 5th, 2003, 02:24 PM
The design of the site seems a little iffy - especially the 'clouds'. Do you intend to use the current design when you launch the site?

freshwriting
April 5th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the responses;

to the issue of rights, we think that publishing unpaid on the internet is considered legally different to 'fisrt publishing rights' & you do not lose first publishing cabability (but our legal eagle is double checking). For longer work, you also have the option of only posting part of the work which should also help.

Bottom line though - we're here to help you spread the word, but caveat emptor.

Re the site design - I'm pretty proud of the cloud design (!) But, I'm not a professional webdesigner - and all suggestions / feedback gratefully achieved.

mistri
April 5th, 2003, 07:45 PM
I'd be interested to hear why your 'legal eagle' thinks it's legally different. If the public can freely get hold of a work then it's published. If, as some places have done, members had to register to see said work (thus making it on a private rather than public basis) and also there was a statement saying said work was only a draft, things might be different.

Of course book and magazine publishers might never see that site. Then again, they might. It's up to each individual to take that risk - I'm just warning them that the risk is there.

Stewart
April 5th, 2003, 08:14 PM
Puttng my stuff on the internet if I could request it removed at whatever time I choose.

milamber_reborn
April 5th, 2003, 09:53 PM
I use writing.com (formerly stories.com) and it is at my own peril. I agree that it oculd dent your chances getting short stories published. I would suggest submitting stories already published (especially if you want talent scouts to spot you) or ones you will not be trying to publish.

I, Brian
April 6th, 2003, 01:58 AM
Re the site design - I'm pretty proud of the cloud design (!) But, I'm not a professional webdesigner - and all suggestions / feedback gratefully achieved.

I don't mean to sound the downer, but the site isn't at all giving the impression of being a professional project - although you have a redirect to the domain name, you're simply using free webspace.

The general design could be much improved upon, but as I've had to learn this route the hard way, I can fully appreicate the problems of starting out.

Also note the legal objections stated - you really need to know your field if you want to succeed in it to any degree.

Really, you seem to have a good idea - but you seem very naive about what you are doing. although there is nothing wrong with this on a personally level, in terms of your site it means you are handicapping yourself, and creating potential issues for later.

This is not meant to sound like I am pruposefully trying to disrespect you - what I'm trying to say is that the net is now a very competetive and completely flooded place. If you really want to make a go of your site and have the vision to make it succeed in the long term, then you really ought to consider re-evaluating your site from scratch.

Do plenty of market research - there's a lot around the web if you know where to look. www.bravenet.com has a number of useful articles for new webmasters.

freshwriting
April 6th, 2003, 03:53 AM
Thanks for the help on this - I do genuinely appreciate it and don't feel in any way disrespected - the whole point of posting was to get comments! We will of course have a think about the issues you've raised and check out the suggested site. We'll be back to let you know how we get on.