PDA

View Full Version : Nonfiction book: By the Sword

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Miriamele
April 7th, 2003, 08:47 PM
I've been thinking about ordering this book from the SFBC. I thought it might help me add some realism to the fight scenes in my fantasy stories. The full title is By the Sword: A History of Gladiators, Musketeers, Samurai, Swashbucklers, and Olympic Games. The author is Richard Cohen, an Olympic fencer.

The blurb about the book promises "an enthusiastic history of blades and those who weild them." It looks like an interesting book, and I probably will order it, but I wanted to check first if any of the sword aficionados around here had read it first.

So has anyone read this book? Is it worth the $30 (CDN) price tag? Thanks. :)

Jacquin
April 8th, 2003, 02:22 AM
I haven't read that one, the review I've just read looks ok but it seems to concentrate on post renaissance swords and swordsmanship with a bit of japanese thrown in.

As a general all round book I'd probably recommend "Secret History of the Sword" by J Christoph Amberger.

For a book on the construction and development of swords anything by Ewart Oakeshotte

For specific combat details "Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship" by Christian Tobler.

If you want fact and not biaised opinion avoid anything by Egerton Castle, Richard Burton or Alfred Hutton.

Hope this helps a little...

J

P.S. It is impossible to have too many books on swords you know? :)

Miriamele
April 8th, 2003, 09:07 AM
Hey, thanks for the advice Jacquin! :)

Jacquin
April 8th, 2003, 10:12 AM
Any time at all...

J