View Full Version : What to Read After Ender's Game

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

DarkMatter15
April 9th, 2003, 07:11 PM
I'm almost done with Ender's Game and have really enjoyed it so far. I want to get the next book in the series now which I think is Speaker for the Dead, but I heared Ender's Shadow was a parallel novel to Ender's Game. Should I read the rest of the series before I read Ender's Shadow or should I read Ender's Shadow right after reading Ender's Game? Also where do his other later books come into the series such as Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow Puppets? Thankyou!

Stewart
April 9th, 2003, 09:30 PM
DO NOT READ THE OTHER BOOKS!!! THEY RUIN ENDER'S GAME!
Speaker for the Dead was alright, but the other books genuinely ruin the experience of Ender's Game. Ender's Shadow gave me mixed feelings, it was good but Card wrote it in a manner that seemed to demean what Ender achieves in the first book, all the sequels to Ender's Shadow are ridiculous however. I suggest you take Ender's Game read it three dozen more times and leave that other crap alone!

toriphile
April 10th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Read Speaker for the Dead next and then stop.

fortytwo
April 10th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Read them all except for the "Shadow series" :)

This question has been asked so many times. It really depends on what aspect of the story you enjoyed. If you don't want to see a more mature Ender and are only interested in all the preparations for that battle seen from other viewpoints then don't bother to read the series. Personally I prefer my science fiction to be a little more broad ranging. Ender's Game was brilliant in my view, and so were the follow-ups.

Sp00nie
July 18th, 2003, 07:29 AM
I read Ender's Game, and also the Speaker for the dead series, and the Shadow series, and enjoyed all of them - some people do, some dont, personally i did enjoy them, although they are different to Ender's game, they are still very good interesting stories, well written, and showing the same depth and reality of character as the earlier ones.

TIPoP 0.141
July 18th, 2003, 01:52 PM
Read Speaker for the Dead and then stop.

I'm baffled as to why an author cant leave well enough alone and keeps on churning out weaker and more contrived sequels (think Arthur C Clarke: 2001 and 2010 sublime, 2061 poor, 3001 dreadful).

Keziah
July 18th, 2003, 04:33 PM
I havent read them all, I've read Enders Game, Speaker For the Dead, Xenocide, Enders Shadow amd Shadow of the Hegemon and i reckon that while Enders Game and Speaker for The Dead are the best of them the rest are decent as long as you dont go in expecting them to be as good as Enders Game.

But to answer your question, it doesnt really matter whether you read Speaker or Shadow next as they dont really connect to one another, i would recomend Speaker though. The other Shadow books follow Enders Shadow and as far as i've read dont connect to the other books, they just follow Bean, Peter and others.

Hungry Jo
July 19th, 2003, 09:48 AM
I've only read Ender's Game, Speaker For The Dead and Xenocide.

SPeaker for the dead is a genuinly great book, but it's more like that start of a new series than a continuation of Ender's Game. Xenocide is an ok sequal to Speaker for the Dead in my opinion. It's not bad but it's not great eiter, it didn't leave me with a bitter taste in my mouth but then it hasn't left me hungry for more either.

phil_geo
July 20th, 2003, 10:03 PM
I really liked Xenocide, for awhile. I thought the first three would have been a great trilogy of books, where each book had it's own flavor and a very unique feel, and yet somehow had a common thread.

I think the character development in Xenocide was excellent, and the plot was good. My main problem was that Card could have easily wrapped it all up in Xenocide, and had a powerful trilogy. Instead, you can almost hear his editor saying "Leave it as a cliffhanger, and I promise you a 3 book deal. You won't have to think or do any real work for the rest of your career." The ending to Xenocide really made me lose respect for Card. When you feel like the author is stringing you along for profit, you kind of lose interest in what happens next.

I hear that Ender's Shadow is a good stand-alone sequel, I plan to read it but can't comment yet...

jrg
July 28th, 2003, 03:39 PM
I read Ender's Game, Speaker For The Dead, Xenocide and Children of the Maind. In fact I bought this last 3 books in a set call “Orson Scott Card: Beyond Ender's Game”.

To tell the truth I’ think this series has a fantastic start with Enders game and then is all down hill from then on, he went from action to psychological to philological.

Because of this I haven’t venture to buy any other book from Scott Card, but if like this type of books, the set is a good bargain.