View Full Version : Materials

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Pluvious
April 10th, 2003, 04:41 AM
What materials do you have around you as you write?

Do you have a stack of notes? If so, how are they organized? What about books? Any writing books or research books? How many?

Anything else?

kassimir funk
April 10th, 2003, 05:10 AM
I have a document with notes, a microsoft paint program with an (semi)interactive map, and my noodle. Luckily, my noodle holds a lot.

Interestingly, I did come across some software once for writers that looked like it could be really cool. It basically allowed you to set up links within your text document to smaller "notepads" thus allowing you to expand on an idea or just keep track of it, outside of the actual manuscript.

For example you write a paragraph that contains the name of a temple(or whatever). Anyhow, you could makem the name of that temple an interactive link to another document where you could put notes that told you all about said temple.

Neat huh?

Da Funk

Bardos
April 10th, 2003, 07:03 AM
My teddy bear!!

:)

j/k

My laptop, tones of hand-writen or somputer-writen notes, hand-drawn (always hand-drawn) maps, my CDs and CD player, cigarettes, and a cup of coffe.

Cool. :cool:

pcarney
April 10th, 2003, 08:08 AM
My computer, a cup of something to drink (soda if I wanna work late, water if I'm feeling healthy). My headphones, plugged into the computer, and I usually stream the 'Secret Agent' channel from http://somafm.com/, or the 'Groove Salad'. Both play laid back, funky electronica. I find the headphones are essential, especially when my wife is watching some 'reality TV'. She tends to yell at the screen, like some guys yell at sports shows..

that's about it.

wolfie
April 10th, 2003, 08:43 AM
Hmmm. Oh, dear. I rarerly write at my desk! However, at my desk, I do have two grammar books but I will admit that I hardly ever touch them!!! Oh, I know I should more often, but when I get on a roll, I don't want to stop.

Most of the time, I write during lunch hour, on my laptop in my car in the parking lot. So, I just have my lunch, my radio and my computer. I do not like a lot of distractions, so the volume of the radio has to be really low...though come to think about it, I can't write well in the absence of at least some background noise. I'm not really sure why that is.

Richardb
April 10th, 2003, 11:04 AM
I do my writing on my laptop, generally sitting in my favorite reclining couch with my wife after the kids go to bed... Basically, the required materials are: my maps (done with campaign cartographer), what I call the 'worldbook' which is a document in word that outlines in good detail the places, people, and political structure, and my note book, which has the details of what has gone before (such as a running battle sequence where I need to tally unit and leadership losses so that I don't stumble over myself two chapters later and resurrect a dead marshal general or some such). That's it.

I, Brian
April 10th, 2003, 03:50 PM
Used to write everything in longhand, and saved all of my writing pads. Tried a dictaphone, but often forget to check it.

Nowdays I can type very fast - bursts of up to 90 words per minute I think, when really inspired.

Everything on the big fat PC on my little knackered desk near to the baby's cot in our bedroom.

milamber_reborn
April 11th, 2003, 11:56 PM
I have about ten A4 size papers full with notes - story ideas, phrases, words, names. I slowly add them to my collection of ideas neatly organised on my computer. I only use my PC when I'm writing.

Miriamele
April 12th, 2003, 09:22 AM
I have a big spiral-bound journal that I jot down notes to myself, story ideas, character names, even fragments of songs or poems that I found inspiring. Everything is in pencil in case I want to reword something. It's a totally disorganized haphazard mess but I always get good ideas when I read through it.

Other than that, I have a dictionary and thesarus, and several books on writing fiction although I wouldn't likely consult those while I was writing.

I always write on my computer with a large glass of water nearby.

Ouroboros
April 12th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Laptop, some loose notes on characters, politics, history and maybe a bottle of Tiger beer.

J.D Salinger used to write with a pencil, on small blocks of yellow paper, he didn't even know how to type. Maps, files and whatnot- are they really necessary for good writing? Course not...

I think they appeal to us as fantasy nerds, though.