PDA

View Full Version : POD Authors Sound Off!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Richardb
April 14th, 2003, 11:13 AM
http://www.equilibriumbooks.com/drakkenmahre_covlg.jpg

“Varsnya gifted life eternal,
heed the power of the call.
Many lives to learn the wisdom,
to in the end, redeem them all.”

A snippet of prophecy: A prophecy of hope and salvation. But has it been twisted by dark powers using an ancient magic?

The hardy clans of Thulistan, living in their frigid highlands, have long withstood the ponderous might of the Tulisian army. Now, however, a dark threat has arisen from the earth beneath their land, at a time of increased Tulisian aggression along their borders. Afraid for his people and his nation, one S’hapur (family leader), a stoic man named Morgan, along with his lifetime friend, a lighthearted warrior named Halnan, undertakes a Quest to learn more of the threat from the creatures known as d’rakken mahre.

His quest will lead him from the frigid northlands of Thulistan to the southern nation of Desil, deep within the Tulisian Empire itself, in an attempt to unravel the mystery of the d’rakken mahre before his nation, paralyzed from within, is attacked by the forces of Tulisia. Not all is what it seems, however, and the prophecy drives Morgan to risk his own people to protect the lives of his foes. In order to ensure that the prophecy is fulfilled, he must protect the d’rakken mahre and the Tulisians from each other.

His companion Halnan, however, comes to view the prophecy in a very different manner, and undertakes his own quest to save his people and his friend from the treachery of what he believes to be a false prophecy. With a man claiming a tie to his quest he cannot question or refuse, Halnan travels to the far south in search of an ancient magic that is purported to be the only way to return the k’aram mahre to the lands, a creature believed to hold within it part of Varsnya, the Last God of Creation, and the only way to save both Thulistan and Tulisia from the ravages of war.

Cover is by Stephanie Pui Mun Law. She does fantastic work!

Richardb
April 14th, 2003, 11:15 AM
Left out the reason for the thread!
I was hoping that POD authors would take a chance to showcase their published, or to be published stuff. I believe that a lot of quality stuff is coming from POD, but it is also jammed out by the slush pile at times. Show us what you have! Everyone else, take a look and support your local POD author if you like what you see.

juzzza
April 14th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Fantastic cover art, if I saw that in the book store I would definitely pick it up and have a closer look.

Hemingway
April 14th, 2003, 11:37 AM
Not to be negative about POD, but I've heard that paperbacks in POD cost around $15. That just seems like an astronomical figure to me for a paperback. If they could just lower the price to a more conventional tag I'd be willing to take a shot at reading some POD writers.

By the way Richard that cover looks fantastic, and the story sounds promising. I'm just wondering, have you ever sought publication through a regular publisher, like Daw, Tor, etc?

Richardb
April 14th, 2003, 11:47 AM
POD can be very expensive. Most US POD's charge more like $20 for a paperback...
I am getting my through Australia, which will be about $15 for a trade paperback, which is about $5 more than a regular bookstore cost of the same at the most. Not bad, but the economies of scale don't work in our favor here.
As to submitting to a major, no... I don't have the desire or patience. I never intend to make a carreer of writing, but just love doing it. My day job is very good.
It is a hard thing, to toss out $15 on an untried author... especially one who won't even bother trying to go mainstream... but equilibruim is doing it right... screening, editing, keeping the quality up...
I am hoping that some folks get involved and go to equilibrium and buy copies. I am not pitching this as a commercial, I am not making any money on this, really. I just want to get folks to take a look at a quality POD publisher with some good works. I can at least say that this can stand proudly on a bookshelf and look as good as any!

I, Brian
April 14th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Normally I would be dismissive of POD authors as chickening out from the hard slog of the mainstream publishing route (honestly, not offensively, intended).

However, Equilibrium books comes across more as an independent publisher using POD methodology, simply because it's too small to afford vast warehouses filled with archived (and taxable) stock.

The cover really is great - truly superb - it not only says great things about the artist or your book, but also Equilibrium itself.

The synopsis I found a little long and stumbly - but what made it stand out was the fact that you emphasised a conflict between the two main characters mentioned.

All in all, from a grumpy British cynic, I'd say this is a good sound all round presentation.

- - - - - - - - -

As an addendum, I'd sincerely hope that Erebus can look to negotiate getting his stock on US bookshelves - independent traders, or whatever - as the fact that it's in Australia makes it feel remote and in a small market. The web is the way, but I'm sure being able to put books on American shelves would make Equilibrium books truly an independent publisher, defined well away from the general POD stigma.

I, Brian
April 14th, 2003, 01:39 PM
WARNING! Fantasy diatribe follows! No personal offense intended!

If I may just qualify on a topic I mentioned above:

morality

I personally absolutely detest black and white morality in a work of fiction. Although it can be a pan-genre issue, it seems endemic to fantasy itself. Although I can appreciate the appeal, as an adult I personally find it patronising and insulting. Which is probably why I have such an obnoxious snotty attitude regarding mainstream commercial fantasy.

So back to Richard's book:

At first it sounds like the usual "there's an evil rising, let's defeat it" crap. But then the synopsis turns to a couple of prominent moral dilemmas: the first being the conflict between two close characters, and the other being the fact that the "dark threat" needs protecting by Morgan suggests that there's no immediate black and white issue here.

This sounds appealing, and makes the work sound intelligent. The concept is sold and gorgeously packaged to boot. It's just a shame that I'm utterly broke. Sorry Richard. ;)

I, Brian
April 14th, 2003, 01:42 PM
Cover is by Stephanie Pui Mun Law. She does fantastic work!

I can't emphasise how superb I think the cover is - that's great talent. Tell Erebus to get her on the staff bank roll before it's too late!

Richardb
April 14th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by I, Brian
WARNING! Fantasy diatribe follows! No personal offense intended!

If I may just qualify on a topic I mentioned above:

morality

I personally absolutely detest black and white morality in a work of fiction. Although it can be a pan-genre issue, it seems endemic to fantasy itself. Although I can appreciate the appeal, as an adult I personally find it patronising and insulting. Which is probably why I have such an obnoxious snotty attitude regarding mainstream commercial fantasy.

So back to Richard's book:

At first it sounds like the usual "there's an evil rising, let's defeat it" crap. But then the synopsis turns to a couple of prominent moral dilemmas: the first being the conflict between two close characters, and the other being the fact that the "dark threat" needs protecting by Morgan suggests that there's no immediate black and white issue here.

This sounds appealing, and makes the work sound intelligent. The concept is sold and gorgeously packaged to boot. It's just a shame that I'm utterly broke. Sorry Richard. ;)

I could not agree more about black and white issues. My book does not present any black and white solutions, in fact, not only do these characters struggle with the morality of the decisions they must make, but also with disagreement over what is the right thing to do, and at what cost. The story definately starts off with a 'defeat the dark nemesis' gist, but rapidly changes as the dark nemesis is linked to a prophesy that promises salvation for a world very much in chaos. Then add in a twist of plot that one character believes the prophesy false, and the other believes it divine in orientation... and set them in motion. There is a lot going on in this book. I admit, my writing will continue to need work. However, with Erebus doing some clean up, it presents as good as many mainstream publications.
I truly hope to see some people buy this and hope to hear that it is 'good enough' for a main stream publisher... which is what I believe... and still chose to stick with Erebus.
Early on, I was introduced to some folks at Edge publishing in Canada and submitted an early version of this work. It made it out of the slush pile and I was sent a letter saying it was going to the managing editor. She then sent a message saying it was going to the owner... who read it and said he had to pass. The net result was, I recieved positive feedback from some smart people. At this point, I decided that POD was for me. I felt vindicated that this publisher told me I was 'good enough' but also knew I did not want to play around with that process any longer.

I, Brian
April 14th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Ah, darn it! I just came online to try and tone down the diatribe in case I didn't just offend but also knocked down the confidence of other aspirants here. At the end of the day, I value my own moral dilemmas and make them a central theme - so my own arrogance on the subject is as much a self-steeling mindeset intended to carry myself through the difficult process of aspiring.

As to Equilibrium books - fair comment. Maybe it's just because Erebus seems a decent enough fellow, but I don't really see anything negative about the company - certainly not the dogged self-publishing label most POD seems to have. If it could put books on shelves in North America, I would think really seriously about submiting something to them. For the moment perhaps I would rather not complicate matters.