PDA

View Full Version : Publishing poetry

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Darva
April 22nd, 2003, 09:05 PM
Does anyone know if poetry is ever accepted for publication? Has anybody out there been published?

choppy
April 23rd, 2003, 12:07 AM
I'm pretty sure that it is. It seems fairly popular for publishers to put together collections of poems under a specific theme. I would think it more rare for a publisher to put together an entire book of poems from one person - especially if that person isn't known.

I'd check out your local bookstore or library. They probably have poetry sections. Then you can look up the publishers you find on the web and see what they are looking for with respect to submissions.

KatG
April 23rd, 2003, 05:52 PM
You mean fantasy/sf poetry or just plain poetry? Plain poetry is published by the book publishers. Big names in the field can get larger publishers to put them out, but most poetry collections are done by small presses or university presses. One of the most famous is Graywolf Press.

Fantasy/sf poetry is, as far as I know, not put out in book collections. It does, however, have a home in sf/f magazines, not only little fanzine publications but big publications like Asimov's. It doesn't pay much obviously, but it is not unwelcome.

Darva
April 23rd, 2003, 08:10 PM
Choppy, thank you for your advise, I have tried to publish a book of poems. The editors have been very nice with first person responses. I guess I had better try magazines or maybe a small press. thanks again.

Darva
April 23rd, 2003, 08:15 PM
KatG, I write all kinds of poetry. I like SF best, but I also do a lot of stuff about every day life, I have done poems about being hopeless and depressed, but most of things I write tend to be light hearted or every day happenings. Thank you for your suggestion about sci-fi mags. I'll look into that avenue. Thank you.