PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Bebop?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Cygnus
April 24th, 2003, 12:32 PM
This has been in the indie theaters here in Dallas for a couple of weeks, and I'm really intrigued. Anime usually isn't my thing but I love all things Miyazaki, and I'm ready to try something new.

I'm just not sure what this is going to be like as a movie. Isn't Cowboy Bebop a series? So does anyone know if the movie is just a "best of" the series or is it something entirely new? And is it going to make any sense to someone who hasn't watched one episode?

Thanks all!

Hemingway
April 24th, 2003, 01:30 PM
Yeah it's a series on Cartoon Networks Midnight run, I think it's on around 1am, being a bartender that's my regular tv viewing time, but that's a little late for most peeps. Anyways it's a pretty cool show, easy to jump into.

Though I'm more of a Yu Yu Hakashu fan, it's a show that gets played next to Dragon Ball Z. Definetly a sweet show.

saintjon
April 24th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Well yeah, Cowboy Bebop started as a series, but it was so successful and well-recieved that they went back and made a movie which takes place between episodes 22 and 23 or something like that I think.

I think I would've enjoyed the movie without having seen any of the series, but some of the nuances of the humour would've been lost on me (Ein the dog being super-intelligent for one). Faye's deeper character aspects aren't really touched on anyway, and Jet's pretty easy to understand no matter how much you've seen of him. Ed is pretty self-explanatory. She's always that weird.

Just so you know what you're getting into, the theme of Cowboy Bebop is kind of a melding of The Western, The Film Noir and Science Fiction and is the result of very creative people deciding to try and defy genres to create the ultimate cool. lots of jazz music lol.

Basically the main characters are all bounty hunters (cowboys) on the spaceship Bebop (hence the title).

But yeah, if you're still not sure, I say go see it! Awesome flick, one of the best fight scenes ever at the end! (Bruce Lee may be dead, but animators can approximate his style pretty well) It also has some pretty fun humour and a villain with some depth.

Shinichiro Watanabe is the man! (I know I've also said this about Katsuhiro Otomo and Hayao Miyazaki :P)

Cygnus
April 25th, 2003, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the info guys! I'll give it a try.

saintjon
April 28th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Just make sure you tell us how you liked it. :D

I haven't actually talked to a lot of other people who've seen this movie.

Miriamele
June 10th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I haven't seen the Cowboy Bebop movie, but I intend to. Right now I'm watching the DVDs of the series--I think I'm up to episode 19 now--and I must say, Cowboy Bepop rocks!

The animation is awesome, the characters are really loveable (especially Ein the dog) and the individual episodes alternate between emotionally touching and simply hilarious (Mushroom Samba is my favourite funny episode so far--it's great seeing the gang strung out on shrooms!). The action sequences are pretty good too--Spike is an amazing hand-to-hand fighter.

I'm so glad I checked out this series. I love the feel of it--kind of jazzy and subdued. It's hard to explain. But anybody who likes Anime even a little bit, and hasn't seen this series, should.

Offhand, does anybody know what the movie is about? When did it come out?

Bear
June 10th, 2003, 04:50 PM
I'll chime in with the praise here. Cowboy Bebop is very good, and if the movie comes to any theaters near you, I'd reccomend wathcing it. I really enjoyed it, and it was great to see some anime on the big screen.

Oorag
June 14th, 2003, 06:27 AM
One of the best parts about Cowboy Bebop from a non-anime fan's perspective is that its very "western". I don't know if this is a sub-genre of anime or what, but basically the characters look vaguely human and do not indulge in most eastern-style anime behavior, (eg Pokemon, Dragonball Z). This makes it easier on the palate of gaijin movie fans.

Literbug
October 9th, 2004, 11:49 PM
I just scored the complete sessions of Cowboy Bebop from a friend as DivX compressed video clips to watch on my laptop. The quality is a little poor, but will suffice until I can afford the DVDs. This science fiction Japanimation series is set in the year 2071, when the Earth has been largely abandoned and human beings make their homes on the other planets, moons and asteroids of the Sol system. Travel between the diverse colonies is accomplished through hyperspace gates. Spike Spiegel and Jet Black are two broke and hungry, but highly skilled bounty hunters, who travel the Sol system in their ship Bebop, having action-packed, comic and poignant adventures. I'm up to Session 10 "Ganymede Elegy" and enjoying the series immensely so far.