View Full Version : Wahey! My book is out

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

mistri
May 1st, 2003, 06:37 AM
It's not actually SF/F writing news - but it is writing news, so I'm posting it anyway :)

I mentioned this a while ago, when I posted here under a different name, but last year my husband and I sold (and wrote) a book on videogaming and now it's finally out! I haven't talked about it much, because it felt totally unreal until a) we got our free copies delivered to us last week, and until b) I actually found a bookstore that stocked it (Waterstones, Piccadilly - UK).

It's a small (96 pages, 37,000 words) and cheap (cheap cost - not cheaply made!) book that covers the history of videogames, mini-reviews of the most important and best games, and cultural essays on videogaming. It's aimed at anyone who might want to know more about games - gamers, children, academics, parents - anyone. It was a lot of fun to write as we are both passionate about videogames, and my husband is actually a games journalist - although we had many, many arguments whenever we edited each other's work.

Lucky Joe
May 1st, 2003, 07:06 AM
Congratulations mistri, really well done. It must be huge kick the first time you see your work on the shelves.

Ouroboros
May 1st, 2003, 08:52 AM
Congratulations!

fluffy bunny
May 1st, 2003, 09:15 AM
Congratulations.

Did you also write the synopsis that's shown on amazon.co.uk? (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/190404820X/qid%3D1051798591/026-5842936-2366044) Seems like an interesting read. Looks like the random type of purchace I pick up from time to time if the film or music magazines on the shelves aren't so appealing. Will have a flick though if I catch a glance of it in store. Not fully convinced by the cover though- a book on videogaming with the actual game filling less than 1/8 of the cover.

Congrats again BTW

Miriamele
May 1st, 2003, 09:17 AM
That's awesome Mistri! Congratulations! :)

juzzza
May 1st, 2003, 10:07 AM
Fantastic news Mistri , well done.

Erebus
May 1st, 2003, 10:17 AM
Well done, Mistri! :)

Mamb
May 1st, 2003, 11:11 AM
That's great to hear Mistri! I'll have to take a look when I'm next in Watersone's.

choppy
May 1st, 2003, 11:42 AM
Congratulations Mistri,

It's always encouraging to hear that someone actually got more than a rejection slip.

Cheers!

mistri
May 1st, 2003, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the congrats - much appreciated.

Yes, we did write the synopsis that's on Amazon - we wrote it (the synopsis) a year ago now, so I'm trying not to reread it, or I'll be bound to want to change it.

The covers are like that for all the pocket essentials books - to give them a uniform look. Consequently the images on all the books are all that size. I actually quite like it - especially if you see a lot of their books all together (you normally get some in the film section of mid-big bookshops). In any case, if you had a big picture of any one computer game, it might make the book look out of date.

We actually got the contract for the book after writing a proposal, rather than the whole thing. With non-fiction it's common not to write the book until a contract's in hand. They knew (at least a bit I suppose) that we'd be able to produce the goods as my husband had written a book (by a different publisher) on the X-Files when he was sixteen, which we sent to them after our inital query, and we had written a lengthy outline, as well as a list of reasons why such a book would sell, and who it would sell to. I have to admit, without my husband having already had one book published, I would be unlikely to be published now myself.

Sometimes, it's all down to luck in the end.