View Full Version : E?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Lucky Joe
May 1st, 2003, 07:02 AM
As Ebooks inevitably become more and more popular how do you think this will change the market and the way publishers and writers do business?

Is it likely that big publishers will be more willing to take on new untested writers? Or do you think we'll be able to do away with big publishers altogether and go it alone on the strength of the work? Or will we always need big budget promotions and advertising to achieve success?

I certaintly hope that as the technology develops the publishing industry will undergo a transformation to the benifit of writers and readers alike. Stephen King has already released at least one Ebook that i know of and I seem to remember he broke some serious sales records with the release, of course there was the novetly factor combined with the selling power of kings name, and I'm not suggesting just anybody could do that, but who knows is this the future?

Or am I full of **** and people will always want paper books? Or have I already missed the boat and it's going on as we speak?

Richardb
May 1st, 2003, 09:56 AM
I do think that ebooks presents a very different economic model that could allow new writers into the market... but I just don't think that ebooks are likely to break out significantly enough in terms of market volume for it to make much difference. The fact is, readers like their books in paper format. We love 'em. It's not just the reading of the words, but the presentation of the book, the cover, the ragged cut paper, the whole thing. Ebooks can't replace that. I would spend $20 for a hardback anytime before I would spend $5 for the same words in ebook format. Reading off a screen is how I make a living... reading off a page is how I enjoy myself.

Twelve
May 1st, 2003, 02:35 PM
Tough call, though I tend to think more along what Richard is saying...

Mamb
May 1st, 2003, 02:39 PM
Could you actually sit and read off a screen for hours and actually enjoy it? I certainly would not be able to. Especially with the jet-engine roar my computer makes. With a book, you can take it wherever you want and read whenever you want.

Pluvious
May 1st, 2003, 03:20 PM
Ebooks will eventually become extremely popular. However, when that will be I really don't know.

The idea of being able to tap into multiple volumes at once is extremely beneficial for certain types of readers (researchers, students, professionals, etc). This is reason alone as to why ebooks will be valued. And the problems of cost, altering the publication business, and the technology (viewing the screen, etc) can easily be solved with time.

This doesn't mean standard books are going anywhere, it just means more options will be available.

milamber_reborn
May 1st, 2003, 10:13 PM
Nothing like a good old paper book. New and underutilised avenues need to be pushed forward though. Just like in the POD debate, I maintain that the small fish need ways of capturing larger audiences.

Iloendell
May 2nd, 2003, 12:26 AM
i don't think e-books will take off, until they are availible on futuristic notebook-sized pads (musch like PDA's but with book-size screens) mainly because a book is good to take somewhere with you, to fill in the time or sit wuietly to yourself. you can't exactly take a computer with you everywhere, and even notebook computers are a little big. I like to read on the bus on the way to school, cause a 1 hr bus ride (each way) gets a little monotonus after a while.

Pluvious
May 2nd, 2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Iloendell
i don't think e-books will take off, until they are availible on futuristic notebook-sized pads (musch like PDA's but with book-size screens) mainly because a book is good to take somewhere with you, to fill in the time or sit wuietly to yourself. you can't exactly take a computer with you everywhere, and even notebook computers are a little big. I like to read on the bus on the way to school, cause a 1 hr bus ride (each way) gets a little monotonus after a while.

Yeah, they already have something like this, although it will take a bit of time until they become affordable and practical.

Lucky Joe
May 2nd, 2003, 05:16 AM
Pretty much the response I expected, people do love their books, otherwise nobody would buy books we'd all just get them from the library and hand them back when we've finished.

I recently read an article somewhere (can't remember where) that talked about the amount of money being invested by publishing houses in portable 'readers' apparently big business sees this as the future even if we don't, and they are well aware of the problems getting people to switch to E books. The article mentioned the three b's test, Bed, bath and bus, if you can't read a book in any of those three places it's no good.

As Pluvious said students and business men are taking to this more than anybody else as it allows them to carry lots of books at once without the usual weight.

fluffy bunny
May 2nd, 2003, 06:31 AM
I'd insist on an acutal paper book in my hand to be honest. Reading of the monitor for long periods of time I'd avoid (and actually printing all that stuff out would go through too much ink

Making a small portable reader that resembles a book wouldn't work for me either-

don't want to lug a power supply around (eg batteries),
what if the thing runs out of batteries and you're not even halfway through your journey?
easily stolen/misplaced/damaged
the initial reader is likely to be expensive
doesn't have read anywhere quality
flickery screens don't help the eyes
I grew up with paper books- electronics are ok for short pieces of text, but personally, I'm more relaxed in front of a book than a computer screen.

Pros
Space saving
Possibly lighter than 5 books + a laptop for buisness users
Customisable- eg can change font size etc for easier viewing
It'll be argued about environmental friendliness - but considering most paper comes from tree farms anyway, and generating power to drive an electrical appliance isn't quite so environmenally friendly.
Face it- new technology is 'cool' (image)
Interactive use of the text - copy and paste to make your own notes from textbooks etc without needing to write/type it all out- saves time for lawers etc with State vs whoever