PDA

View Full Version : Is there room for comedy in fantasy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Morgan
May 2nd, 2003, 07:52 AM
What's your views on comedy being the main driving force in a fantasy s/f? Do you get offended if the fantasy world isn't sticking to stereotypical rules... I'm talking beyond Bored of the Rings and Barry Trotter here... think comedy-sitcom in a fantasy world... probably closest I can muster to it is Red Dwarf and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy I'd be interested on your opinions...

pcarney
May 2nd, 2003, 08:32 AM
I thought Piers Anthony's Xanth books were hilarious when I was a kid. Its been a long time since I read any, though.

I think you can find humor in anything, though.

Morgan
May 2nd, 2003, 08:35 AM
haven't read anything by Piers Anthony myself - what sort of humour was it?

I used to read Terry Pratchett, liked his work for several years - then went right off him, don't know why but I found his humour somewhat patronising...

pcarney
May 2nd, 2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Morgan
haven't read anything by Piers Anthony myself - what sort of humour was it?

I used to read Terry Pratchett, liked his work for several years - then went right off him, don't know why but I found his humour somewhat patronising...

He's obsessed with puns and such. For example, some of his book titles-
"Centaur Aisle"
"Crewel Lye"
"Heaven Cent"
Xanth is a magical land that usually looks like Florida and is populated with various faries, elves, ogres, etc. Everyone has a magical talent. There was a fair amount of sex jokes from what I remember, which made them even more appealing to me as a kid. (well, somethings haven't changed). Give him a try.

Humor in any novel is a tricky thing. Nothing turns me off more when I'm reading a book, and the author is trying to be funny, but isn't.

KatG
May 2nd, 2003, 12:03 PM
There are dozens of comic fantasy writers -- it's an entire sub-genre. They write both in fantastical settings and real world settings, and the humor ranges from slapstick farce to drama with a lot of comic elements. Here's a few:

Piers Anthony (some of his work such as Xanth books)
Terry Pratchett
Glen Cook (his Garrett P.I. series)
James Blaylock
Pamela Wharton Blampied
James Morrow
Esther Friesner
Stephen Brust (Vlad Taltos series)
Sharyn McCrumb
Jeremy Pascall
Mary Brown
Jerry Jay Carroll
George Alec Effinger
P.N. Elrod
Diana Wynne Jones
Diane Duane
Patricia Wrede
Robert Asprin
Elizabeth Wiley
Roger Zelazny & Robert Sheckley (Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming)

And of course, the legendary "Chicks in Chainmail" anthology series. So if you decide to write a comic fantasy, you'll be in good company. :)

Obtuse
May 2nd, 2003, 02:24 PM
I am a huge jokester myself. I've always got a joke or a line, or something. In fantasy ,however, I'd rather not have too much humor. When an author can capture the everyday humor of real life, within a serious tale, that, to me, is a sign of a good author. But a fantasy book that is specifically designed to be a comedy? I'll pass.

I, Brian
May 2nd, 2003, 03:35 PM
All depends on the type of humour. Character humour is a sign of a great writer. All-out comedy is simply a matter of taste. There are good jokes and bad jokes but few really clever observations.

Holbrook
May 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Humour is the yeast in life. Too many times a writer is so serious that the work becomes boring. Even in the darkest times silly, stupid things can make one laugh.

The question you must ask yourself is how, when and why to use it. Use well humour can add to the plight of the characters. Used badly it destroys every word you hav written before.

Belly laugh or slight chuckle. Gallows humour or slapstick, each can move a work forward, blending and mixing action, sadness, passion, humour, it fact every aspect of life, is what, for me as least, writing is all about.

Kilroy
May 4th, 2003, 01:44 PM
There's always room for humour.

Kilroy Was Here

Morgan
May 9th, 2003, 04:19 AM
what about parodies of the fantasy sci/fi realm? How does that sit with you?