PDA

View Full Version : Cross Gen?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
May 2nd, 2003, 11:54 AM
I am curious if anyone out there still collects any Cross Gen titles? Way back when this forum first started, their were a few of us who had collected a few of the titles.

Myself, I don't collect any of them anymore. I just recently dropped The Path.

For me, they just don't keep my attention at all. And, I don't like the entire 'sigil' thing running through every title of Cross Gen. It bothers me.

Anyone else??

Keyoke

fluffy bunny
May 2nd, 2003, 12:23 PM
I don't collect any - way of the rat was reasonable enough. Ruse just didn't compare to league of extraordinary gentlemen. As to the path- again reasonable enough, but nothing that smacks you in the face saying this is unmissable stuff.

Art in way of the rat and pathn and route 666 is gorgeous. The plots are above average, but not brilliant.

At the mo if I was buying single comics (as a pose to trades - I can't go into a comic shop every 2 weeks or so to pick them up - trades are easier) I'd be getting

Lucifer (vertigo)- probably the only book I pick up monthly

Y-the Last Man (vertigo)

Rex Mundi (image)- don't normally like what image is putting out, but somehow I've gotten 2 with original premises on my list in the last few months- this is on issue 3 (started on issue 0 though)

Queen and country (oni)

Courtney crumrin- oni (miniseries has just finished- three strikes has just started though, and it reads very well - same team as last yrs skinwalker- swap to that)

The new astro city series (wildstorm)

Daredevil (marvel) and catwoman (dc) - love noir tales. These 2 are well written

Gotham central/100 bullets/fables are on the B list for me- not quite up there, but reasonable stories and concepts.

Twelve
May 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Cross Gen... like you said, I felt that there was a very huge flaw in the whole universe when everyone was tied down by that "sigil" thing. Imagine trying to write a good story with that always over your shoulder?

Warewolf
May 7th, 2003, 11:32 AM
I think you guys are letting the sigil thing get to you waaaay too much. I read several of their books, but not all. The more books of theirs you read, the more you get out of it due to the minor references to other books, but by no means do you need to read any other book to enjoy one of them.

Crossgen has the most consistently well written and well drawn books of any company. Negation is unbelievably good. Crux is another good sci-fi yarn and Sojourn and Scion are excellent fantasy series. The Path is a well written samurai epic and Way of the Rat reads just like a Hong Kong action movie. Then there's Solus and Brath, but it's too early to tell on these. I gave up on Ruse after Waid left...it just didn't have the same flavor...something seemed off. I am eagerly anticipating Dixon's pirate adventure, El Cadazor.

Who else offers variety like this? By boycotting these books simply because of the sigil theme, you are seriously missing out on some of the best books being published today.

Twelve
May 7th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Warewolf
By boycotting these books simply because of the sigil theme, you are seriously missing out on some of the best books being published today.

B-boycott? Dang...

Nah, it's nothing so personal Crossgen. I'm just a Marvelite through and through. Perhaps Crossgen is doing something good now, but when I first looked into them everything seemed cheap and generic, unappealing. And this is on top of my problem with the "sigil" thing.

Nevertheless, based on what you say, I'll check it out again.

fluffy bunny
May 7th, 2003, 03:47 PM
I don't boycott by company- not bothered in the slightest by the sigil. The stories currently out there just don't do anything for me. I just find them pretty much by the numbers.

That said, I've been wanting a good pirate comic for ages- and if you're not lying about the disxon thing it may be worth checking out (though I've read a reasonable amount of his DC stuff- specifically nightwing along with way of the rat for a bit)- if dixon gets bored of a project you can tell from the writing. Good most of the tome though