View Full Version : Music While Writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

DarkMatter15
May 2nd, 2003, 07:57 PM
Sometimes I find that listening to music while I write makes my words come more easily. It puts me into a state of mind that allows my creative thoughts to flow better. Do you listen to music while you write? What kind of music?

Asraloth
May 3rd, 2003, 04:10 AM
i listen to classical, usually andrea bocelli or something purely instrumental like bach or wagner.

the classical stuff makes me feel like i'm writing something epic, which i usually am (i hope).

Stranger
May 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Classical is the best I've found for transporting me to whatever that place is, although I am partial to Mozart.

Right in step with classical however, are the new "Celtic" artists like Enya and Clannad, since my tales tend to revolve around the Celtic people.

Flamenco is my favorite for writing romantic scenes, and I have recently fallen in love with Caribbean music and Salsa.

I would also recommend Spain's bullfight music. Awesome!

Poseidon
May 4th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Chopin's a little more suitable for writing for me, but for a scene more motivated by adrenaline, I'd choose Cemetary Gates by Pantera, or One by Metallica.

Poseidon
May 4th, 2003, 09:34 AM
By the way stranger, I hope you're not encouraging Bullfighting, it's really sick what those guys do to Bulls. Jabbing them with spears, and drugging them, and when the bull comes out he's so incoherent and sluggish from the drugs and stabbings that he really can barely even put up a fight. Hopefully one day someone will do something about that vicious animal cruelty.

pcarney
May 4th, 2003, 10:17 AM
I listen to 'ambient' techno. I'm not a big fan of the full throttle electronica, but I find the laid back stuff to be great background music.
Sometimes, if I'm writing an action sequence or such, I'll put on something a bit harder, such as Nine Inch Nails.

Twelve
May 6th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Yup. It's gotta be classical. It really does wonders. When my head hurts too prematurely, or I have a writers block, classical music soothes and motivates. Any other kind of music tends to take me away from my writing...especially music with words.

mistri
May 6th, 2003, 07:08 PM
I can't have complete silence while I write and do frequently listen to music. Unfortunately, if it's anything I really like, I sometimes get too much into the music instead of the writing. Classical music, however, does work really well as background music that isn't annoying or really obtrusive.

Kirby
May 6th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Movie Scores. (Not to be confused with "from and inspired by" soundtracks)!

Bear
May 7th, 2003, 12:49 AM
I always listen to music while writing, but all kinds. I'll play anything from radiohead, to Chopin, to the Amelie Soundtrack (current favorite), to Miles Davis, to liszt, to Dose one, to the Flaming Lips, and just about everything in between. But something is always on. Than again, I listen to music regardless of what I'm doing.