PDA

View Full Version : See this is the sort of element I'd like to see in new writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Lifino
May 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/US/GMA030506Climber_amputate.html

One of the better articles I've come across about that climber who cut off his arm to free it...

My point is, this is the sort of thing that people could easily add to a story to help it come alive. As you describe the situation you can build in tons of anxiety. Your peer will applaud your willling-ness to maul your characters. (Come on, even Ned died within a few weeks...)

For this particular incident, the climber, I love it... This is what animals will do in the wild, like the dog caught in the bear trap that chews off it's leg to get away...

I don't know if there is any real point to this thread, I just felt like commenting...

-Silas

Richardb
May 6th, 2003, 11:03 AM
I picked up that story from CNN and was so amazed I had to run around the office with it, pointing out to fellow team member that I had a new definition of toughness!
I want to meet that guy...

I, Brian
May 6th, 2003, 02:46 PM
...and shake his hand...

Lifino
May 6th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Buh, du... CHING.

ROTFL

The guy is tough, your right about that... If a friend of mine ever did that I'd have to nik-name him, Roach. Or I suppose I could call him Cock:rolleyes:

Richardb
May 6th, 2003, 03:08 PM
Granted, this has nothing to do with writing.. .but one more post-
First of all, visualize what it took to self amputate with a pocket knife. This is not quick and easy, but sort of sawing for a long time... and how did he get through the bone? Then he sets his lines, finishes his repel down the mountain, and hikes out until a helicopter sites him! He's my hero, that's all there is to it.

Lifino
May 6th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Yes, this has nothing to do with writing. But this type of action is what I, PERSONALY, would appreciate seeing in modern fantasy. These situations, where the individual is faced with a tough decision. At it's core it is the same dilema that comes up in all my prefered books, just a new situation...

And as you put it, Just think what he went through! I want to be there, when I am reading, going through that decision. You know, realizing the irony of the dog caught in the bear trap and chewing off his leg... Now here I am stuck having to work for hours to remove one of my limbs...

I'm not saying that I'd like to see this specific scenario, just this type of scenario... Afterwards everybody says, Boy that guys is MY hero!

I put the thread in the writing area so that it, and the discussion could act as inspiration...

Oh, and if you read the article, you'd see that he thought it through prior to cutting. He knew that he'd never hack through the bone, so he broke the bone before hand(I suppose the stone broke the hand before arm... Harhar)

Later someone went out there to retrieve the limb. But they decided it was too damaged to attempt to reattach it!

Rocket Sheep
May 7th, 2003, 04:45 AM
I've smashed a few bones in my time and you have about half an hour or less of numbness before hideous crippling pain sets in. He would have had to do the sawing then... but still... I wouldn't have been able to do it. I have walked half a k on an ankle that was on sideways (broken in two places) and that made me vomit a few times... tough guy.

pcarney
May 7th, 2003, 06:51 AM
He must of cut through the joint.
They found the arm a couple days later and sent it to an funeral home. Now that's an interesting piece, stuffed and mounted above the mantle..

kahnovitch
May 8th, 2003, 04:38 AM
I heard about this on the local news.
If there's ever a "Balls of Steel" award, I know who to nominate.

I, Brian
May 8th, 2003, 06:53 AM
ITN report said the bone was fractured, so he cut through that.

Actually, my interpretation of what Lifino is actually drawing attention to, is the issue of writer's not challenging their own protagonists enough. Certainly would be a valid point.