View Full Version : Movie Ideas

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Pluvious
May 7th, 2003, 02:30 AM
What are some movie ideas that you would like to see? It seems like all the big budget movies are comic book stories or re-makes right now. This is good but I have some ideas I would like hollywood to make into a movie.

Some Ideas:

1) Medieval Knights
-Plate armor, sieges, jousting...maybe a story about the crusades? With Islam being a popular topic I think the story of fighting for Jerusulem would be cool. Or just a story of a famous knight...like William Marshall...?

2) Fictional Explorer

-I'd like to see the story of a fictional exporer. Kind of like Magellen, Livingston, or Cortez exploring a new land. Kind of a mix of Indiana Jones and a real explorer. You could discover anything...the possibilities are endless. Good for a series.

3) Real Explorer

-I'd like to see the story of Cortez and the aztecs or Francis Drake taking on the Spanish

4) Fantasy
-A good fantasy other then Lord of the Rings.

Eldanuumea
May 7th, 2003, 10:05 AM
We need a really good historical blockbuster.....haven't had one since Gladiator.

What about an authentic look at the Crusades...one which does not make the Christian knights the good guys and the Saracens the baddies, but which shows excesses and good and evil on both sides.

Or, what about the Acadian exile from Canada. I am always amazed at how little people know, if anything at all, about the origins of my people - the Cajuns of south Louisiana.
Such a film could be structured around the lovers Evangeline and Gabriel. I have always wanted to see such a film made.

Hungry Jo
May 8th, 2003, 02:00 PM
what we need is David Gemmel's "Legend" as a movie, everything else can wait.

kater
May 8th, 2003, 06:00 PM
Sadly it'll never happen DG has been offered by studios to make his books into films for years but he has to hand the copyright for the character/s over to the studios - something he will never do. Legend would rawk as a movie :D

kahnovitch
May 9th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Eldanuumea
We need a really good historical blockbuster.....haven't had one since Gladiator.

I'd second that. It's be nice to see another epic in the style of Gladiator like the old Cecile B Demile/Demil? films.

Ouroboros
May 9th, 2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Eldanuumea
We need a really good historical blockbuster.....haven't had one since [b]Gladiator.

Ah-ha!

We have in the works TWO epic films about the life of Alexander the Great (okay, Hollywood does, not 'us'). One with Colin Farrell, which will depict Alexander as a bisexual. And one with Leonardo DiCaprio which will... er... probably depict him as a smartass californian.

There's also the 'King Arthur' movie which is upcoming, a demystification of the arthurian legend. Arthur as a roman who would not leave with the legions.

Then there's that Russell Crowe movie which is based on one of those 'Horatio Hornblower' type 18th century naval galleon type series. Supposed to be very 'Gladiator' like.

Or, what about the Acadian exile from Canada. I am always amazed at how little people know, if anything at all, about the origins of my people - the Cajuns of south Louisiana.
Such a film could be structured around the lovers Evangeline and Gabriel. I have always wanted to see such a film made.

Slap me silly, my dear, I have never even heard of the Acadian exile from Canada: what's that all about then?

Lifino
May 9th, 2003, 07:37 AM
I know this is a very international crowd, so don't take this the wrong way... If it's historical I'm ready for another big budget American History/Civil War movie. I can always sit through those.

I'm not up with Chinese history, but I'd have to imagine that there are TONS of great storyies that could be told about some of their strugles. I've been thinking this ever since seeing Crouching Tiger. I'd like it so long as they don't make it all sappy. I've seen plenty of China Produced movies, and it is a very different style, where dialog and acting still propel the plot, very enjoyable.

Back here in the states, for a true history adventure they should make a movie about Meriwether Lewis and William Clark(Lewis&Clark) There is a large amount of detail known about what they went through, and some fantastic stories... Don't know if it could be a full release in thousands of theaters, but then again, look at titanic! Perhaps Meriwether had a thing for Clark:rolleyes:

I'd like to see another movie set in the Future that would be on par with Blade Runner. AND NOT a remake of Blade Runner (still surprised that hasn't happened yet) There have been other attempts, but BR was among the best.

Miriamele
May 9th, 2003, 07:45 AM
As for historical blockbusters, their currently filming a movie on the Trojan War, aren't they? Well maybe that's not exactly historical but somewhat.

Historical films are generally my favourite type. You can't have too many of those. I'd like to see one featuring the pioneers in Canada, who lived an incredibly difficult life hacking a living out of the wilderness. Maybe it could feature the War of 1812. But that would probably never happen, for the same reasons they've never made a movie about the Acadians. (BTW Elda, I know who they are! I learned all about Gabriel and Evangeline in highschool French class.)

I like war movies as long as they don't depict one side as "bad" and the other as "good," because it never works that way in real life. An unbiased movie about the Crusades would indeed be interesting, although probably in the light of current world events movie makers might be squeamish about picking the topic up because some people would be bound to complain.

Bond
May 9th, 2003, 09:25 AM
For a real explorer, there was an impressive Marco Polo TV mini-series production during the 1980s that had Leonard Nemoy in it but it seems next to impossible to get now.

Medieval knights? Well first of all have you seen El Cid (1961)?

The new Russell Crowe movie, is it Master and Command?

Pirates of the Caribbean looks like a fantasy but whether it is good or not.... It does feature Johnny Depp. I guess it might have a residual tang of Sleepy Hollow.

I've seen plenty of China Produced movies, and it is a very different style, where dialog and acting still propel the plot Really?!?!?!? Ying Xiong is a fantasy fairy tale feast for the eyes but I don't care if it has the same pair that starred in In the Mood for Love, it has flat dialogue and abstract acting.

Nevyn
May 9th, 2003, 09:54 AM
El Cid is a great movie !