View Full Version : The Road To Crathia

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Cadfael
May 13th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Cadfael... not wishing to give too much away, relectantly allowed the men to butcher the huge carcass. He however would not partake of any of the meat... the though of eating dragon flesh, even this vile monster was more that his dragon self could stomach. He did however, begin to gather some of the huge obsidian scales, some over 3 feet across.

"These will make fine plate armour" he informed e-Berry "Incredible light, resistant to fire... and will help to resist some magical attack. Colonel Octavius!!!..."he calls to the big man "May I have use of you weapon smith... or your armourer would be better"

"They are both the same person" Lucius replied..."And by all means feel free... any man that can take such a huge beast down deserves the thanks of my people."

Cadfael returns to e-Berry... "Where is he?" he whispered to her... "Is he close?"

"I have no idea" she replies... the worry plain on her face "Last I knew he was up on yon promontory..." she nods her head toward the spur of rock overlooking the vale. "I am worried... surely he would show himself now allies have arrived?"

Cadfael looks over towards the rock.... "hmmmmmm.... maybe I should check it out?"

EDITED... but you should also go back and edit the part about Cadragon not turning human because of his injuries... in the post above... he clearly did turn human :D:D

Stranger
May 13th, 2003, 11:53 AM
NOTE: Negative, Mad Monk. Edit that last part about Hamas. That is not the way it went down. I have a surprise for you.:D

The Colonel put a detail on the skinning, and it was quite a task. Cad watched with increasing interest. This was a good-sized force. They even had engineers. Soon a couple of foot soldiers, obviously scouts, came down and reported to the Lieutenant.

It took a good while to get the Black hoisted and ready for gutting. They opened him up. A man wearing a monk's robe similar to Cad's walked over to them. He'd been standing by quietly, watching the proceedings. He said something to the men and they stopped working.

Turning he caught Cad's eye. The Mad Monk recognized Power immediately. He cursed himself that he had not Felt the man before.

He walked over to the aged, frail-looking man, whose eyes were sharp and keen as sunlight. The two exchanged long stares.

The little man handed Cad a silver dagger. In a voice only he could hear he said, "You take the heart, Dragon Lord".

A crow called.

Cadfael
May 13th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Cadfael looks hard at the Old man for a few moments... then takes the knife from his hand. His face hard and impassive he walks to the dead dragon and cuts out the huge heart. Carrying it aways from the body, he drops it on the ground. He then passes the silver blade back to the Old Man.

The gathered men begin to whisper and mutter... not sure if insult had been given or taken. However.. the Old man smiles and pats Cadfael upon the shoulder..."I shall arrange something to carry it in" he says... leaving Cadfael confused.

Stranger
May 13th, 2003, 12:46 PM
http://www.e-cadfael.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/larger/100x100/100_111.jpg

Cadfael was hit by a wave of POWER that rolled over him. He knew that he and e-Berry were the the only ones who saw the figure.

"Sooooo, Dragon Lord. You have won the first round. Good for you. It is only the first, Mad Monk. I look forward to "playing" with you again. Bad luck for me that I broke a wing, eh"?

"Well, I can fashion another body soon enough. In the meantime don't bother looking for your friend. He is fast on his way here to ME".

She showed him a vision of turbaned riders and a figure laid over a horse. She smiled wickedly. "I am having such a time of it, keeping Hamas from killing him".

"You Bitch" Cad roared. She laughed at him.

"You know" she said, "For a three thousand year old dragon you don't pay attention to much". Cad looked puzzled. "When you travelled to his birthing, whom did you see"? Cad went pale. This one had been the midwife.

"Then you are..."

"His grandmother" she hissed. "And I am bringing him home to avenge the murder of my daughter".

"Then why are you trying to kill him, to kill us all"?

"My grandson is not....overly fond of me. He is an idiot when it comes to Magic, you know. Besides, you must be worthy; up to the task, so to speak. Make no mistake, Mad Monk, I will try to kill you every step of the way. Otherwise, you will fail in any event. Now, go, and eat my heart. It will give you strength". With a bit of humor she added. "Take the liver, too. Yours is about shot".

"Until our next battle, Mad Monk. Now we will see how good you really are". Her laughter echoed as the image faded. A flock of crows flew overhead, cawing noisily.

Cad was faced with a real problem. He knew that if he took dragon form The Old Woman would be on him like white on rice. Meanwhile Stranger was in the clutches of a crazy Arab just itching to skin him alive. He saw the old man standing there, watching him and smiling.

Eldanuumea
May 13th, 2003, 02:44 PM
e-Berry raised her eyebrows......a clear sign to Cad that she needed to talk.......when he could draw aside without notice, he took her hand and pretended to be leading her to her horse's side. As they walked, she whispered as softly as possible, "What do we do with our Roman intruder? And do you know the way to get to this Old Bitch without Stranger leading us?"

Stranger
May 13th, 2003, 03:28 PM
e-Berry noticed the skinny old Monk watching her intently. He could not have overheard, she knew, but he watched as if he had.

Finally he came to some kind of decision, and walked over to her, ignoring Cad as if he weren't there. He bowed his head a little.

"You are Eldanuumea. Might I have a word with you"? e-Berry looked suspicious, but walked a ways with him. folding his hands behind his back he searched for the right words.

"You seek your Lover. His life hangs by a thread. I doubt the Arab will resist the temptation to torture him. They are old enemies, and Hamas carries deep grudges".

"The Roman, as you call him, commands a force of five hundred men, some of the best mercenaries in the world. I am one of them, and have been with him for many years".

"They are for hire, milady. They are professional soldiers, and where you are going you will need all the men you can muster. Surely you will need more than five hundred, but that's a start".

e-Berry looked at him. "Why are you telling me this"? He shrugged.

"Call it professional interest. I am a Mage. I would love to be there to see The Mad Monk go head to head with The Old Woman".

Eldanuumea
May 13th, 2003, 03:47 PM
E-Berry shook her head and drew Cadfael off to walk aside with her.

"Monk, how does the mad old man imagine we can hire 500 Roman soldiers? Does he expect me to offer my sexual favors to the Colonel? For I have nothing else of any value....what about you?"

Cadfael chuckled and answered, "My dear, I am almost certain he did not have it in mind for you to service either Colonel Lucius or his cohorts! Perhaps you and I can put our heads together and come up with a compelling offer."

Stranger
May 13th, 2003, 08:51 PM
Cad considered e-Berry's words, casting an eye toward the contingent of soldiers.

They were efficient, already well on the way to having bivouac set up, organized and well-disciplined.

He calculated. Foot soldiers, heavy cavalry (the big guns), archers, med unit, engineers- and a flipping Mage.

Whoever this Colonel was, he had put together a first class unit. And battalion strength at that. They would not be cheap.

Already the Black's carcass was history and the smell of Grade A Prime Rib cooking filled the air.

The Lieutenant came striding up and addressed them. "Father, Warrior Maid. The Colonel asks would you join him for evening mess?. He is dying to hear your story of slaying the dragon".

He waited for their answer.

Cadfael
May 13th, 2003, 09:02 PM
Cadfael turns away and sits upon a rock... he looks to the sky... and turns to the Lieutenant...

"You may inform the Colonel that I shall await his pleasure here" he smiles at the stunned Lieutenant.

Stranger
May 13th, 2003, 09:05 PM
The skinny monk walked up to Cad. "Would you prefer the heart cooked, or will you have it raw"?