View Full Version : Broken Controllers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Bear
May 7th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Okay, folks. Let's hear about those games that left you in tears because they were so damn hard. I know I can name a few . . .

Vandal Hearts: Good lord, this game was tough. The final cathedral was so difficult that, after I'd fought through about eight boss fights without a save, only to enter the next room and get killed by a friggin' vampire bat, I threw my playstation controller against the wall and broke it.

Lunars 1 and 2 for the Sega Cd: these games were good, but a pain. I remember a boss in part two that took five hours of leveling up before i could beat him. And talk about long dungeons. The playstation version weren't nearly as merciless, though.

Alundra: not because of the fighting, but some of the puzzles were incredubly tough. And I'm really good at Puzzle games (tetris attack, puzzle fighter anyone?).

Pulstar: the most difficult shooter, bar none (and by shooter, I mean 'space,' not 'first person.') I still, to this day, cannot beat the fourth level. And the game gives you unlimited continues. I gauruntee that this game will leave you bald in a matter of hours.

R-type delta: The last two stages of this shooter (again, space), took me months to memeorize and beat. And I threw a control because of this game too.

Contra, shattered soldiers: Man, when konami said they were making an old school contra game, they really meant it. This game is really friggin' tough. So far, I can't beat it.

There's more, but that's always the case. Anyone want to add some games?

kassimir funk
May 8th, 2003, 06:23 AM
The original ultima on the NES... and Mike Tyson's punch out (Mike Tyson in particular).

I only beat MT once... luckliy there were witnesses.

Bond
May 8th, 2003, 06:29 AM
My eye-hand coordination sucks and I was in perpetual envy of my gifted friends who could pass games like Ninja Gaiden.

I on the other hand could barely get to the middle of Megaman and although I made it to the last castle I couldn't finish the second Zelda game Zelda II: The Adventure of Link.

Anyway, one game that left me completely baffled as to how anyone could finish it was Section Z.

BTW, Mike Tyson's Punchout was awesome! One of the best games for the original Nintendo. Maybe even now one of the best games of its kind ever. The characters in that game were fun. I had all but given up on ever beating Mr. Sandman but then a friend of mine came over and went all the way and beat Mike Tyson without losing once. Motivated me to do better and after religiously training and getting the inside scoop on what strategy to employ I finally beat that monster! The ecstasy of the moment!

Dominus
May 8th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Certain sections of Halo in Legendary mode pissed me off thoroughly, other than that, I find most games I play easy, unless I'm playing against a good human.

trentdick2882
May 8th, 2003, 02:20 PM
The Library (in Halo) is oh so much fun on Legendary. Except for the fact that it's the same exact thing the whole way through and if you die you repeat stuff over and over and over... I've never played the game without my little brother on co-op though, so if you get to a hard part, one person just hangs back and the other person can die and resurrect again.

Bear
May 8th, 2003, 09:03 PM
Ah. Punch out. What a game. I, too, beat Mike Tyson, but I had to use a code so I could go straight to him, and even then, I only beat him once.

And how could I have forgotten . . . ghouls and ghosts for the nes! That game was pure evil. And super ghouls and ghosts was no cake walk either.

I've never had much trouble with first person shooters. Unreal tournament on 'godlike' was pretty difficult though.

saintjon
May 10th, 2003, 12:53 PM
yeah Super Ghouls and Ghosts was pretty ridiculous. Mega Man 2 took many tries to beat (X has it so much easier being able to grab walls)

Man I only got hung up on a few levels in Vandal Hearts. That second last level though, with the huge melee outside the cathedral, was pretty interesting to say the least.

Have any of you guys actually managed to beat Romance of the Three Kingdoms? I've never actually sat and taken the time to take over the whole country, man do I ever love that game though.

Mafia on PC I found to be pretty damn tough sometimes too. The last level is RIDICULOUS! I had to spend like 4 hours fine-tuning a game plan to waste the last bad guy with only 3 health left (not nearly enough to eaily beat an accurate tommy gun user :() I also tried getting through the level again to get a save happening where I had more health but I couldn't even get through the damn to that point again. Basically they start you off with a crappy Detective Special with 6 bullets in it and pit you against an art gallery FULL of thugs, armed with everything from grenades to shotguns (several types), tommy guns, magnums. Pretty epic ending to the game though.

Bond
May 11th, 2003, 12:10 AM
ROTK? Oh let's see 3 times at least once each with Liu Bei, Sun Quan and Cao Cao ;) Ma Teng too...

saintjon
May 11th, 2003, 12:24 AM
I've started a few games as Ma Teng. Those huge cavalry units they always start you with are nice and of course Ma Chao rocks.

I dunno if they're your thing or not Bond but have you tried the new Dynasty Warriors games?

Bear
May 11th, 2003, 03:35 AM
You know, Bond, I never beat the final castle of Zelda 2 either. And nothing in that game irked me more than those invisible flying eyeball things. I would like to find the person that thought up that idea and punch him in the brain.

And what about the original metroid on the nes? That game wasn't very forgiving either.

Oh! And how could I have forgotten. The original ninja turtles game for the Nes was impossible. Granted, I haven't played it since I was about eight years old, but i've never met anyone who has beaten it.