PDA

View Full Version : New website paying for submissions.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

geishaslave
May 9th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Greetings all.

I heard about a new online publication from a writer friend and checked it out.

Please go to

http://www.dawnsky.com/

My friend mentioned above submitted a story and it has been accepted for publication in the first issue (July 2003). She received $100 upon acceptance!

Sirand
May 9th, 2003, 11:41 AM
That has to be one of the most badly designed websites I've ever seen and my first impressions tell me that its unlikely to last very long.

Morgan
May 9th, 2003, 11:44 AM
have to agree with you there on that one...

Mamb
May 9th, 2003, 11:48 AM
Give it a chance! Its probably still under construction.

Sirand
May 9th, 2003, 11:50 AM
He looks like he's trying to run before he can walk. $100 for accepted pieces is going to stretch him a little thin if its $10 for the whole year and its not like he's going to have masses of publicity like singularity.

Morgan
May 9th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Mamb
Give it a chance! Its probably still under construction.

Totally agree, but from experience, you've got to make sure that what you are offering is visually stimulating - if it is under construction then he/she/they/the collective shouldn't even contemplate touting around to the masses until it's ready - it's just going to put alot of people off... remember it's all about first impressions...

I, Brian
May 10th, 2003, 05:36 AM
I was going to write a very dismissive post about Richard Spann's website.

But on reflection it's not a bad idea. Looks likie he's counting on subscriber numbers making the money for the authors. Whether it works or not is another matter, because getting the site traffic is going to take some upfront investment.

It does need a complete redesign, though, and I wonder if the actual project will actually earn anyone the money promised. Methinks the whole concept looks just a little naive. No search engine optimisation, either. Should take Credit Cards as well, not just PayPal.

Still, best of luck to the project. Never knock ambition and goodwill. I just hope he can focus it properly in terms of the required internet marketing. Otherwise it's dead in the water before it's even begun. If he comes back to this thread he's welcome to ask me for possibly helpful marketing info.

Sirand
May 11th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Just looking at these posts hardly anyone's first opinions are good. And even for something thats in construction its shoddy. The internet is saturated with zines and his just doesn't give a good impression. And I just have the feeling the work will be a little poor.