View Full Version : Submission Tracking

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

juzzza
February 11th, 2003, 03:40 AM
Any writers on the forum who have made submissions to magazines or short story markets can post their progress, any positive feedback, strange rejections and of course, SUCCESS!!!

I think we all need help in finding quality markets for short stories and I know I would find it useful to learn from others' experiences. Trawling the web for submission guidelines and magazines to target can be frustrating.

So come on guys, where have you sent your stories and what replies have you had (I appreciate that some may not want to name publications until they have had a response negative or positive so just tell us the genre, type of publication, webzine, anthology etc if you wish).

g'luck

P.S. If you need a starting point to find prospect mags/webzines/contests for your submissions, try this link:

http://www.ralan.com/

juzzza
February 11th, 2003, 03:55 AM
My only submission recently was to 'The Fortean Bureau'

I had a nice response from the deputy editor who felt the story was good but she did not like the ending and invited me to make some changes and re-submit. I sent a response explaining why I left the ending so open and she kindly agreed to forward the story to the chief editor for consideration and another opinion. Unfortunately, it didn't grab him at all but at least they took the time to read it and send positive responses.

So, if any of you guys have strange/creepy tales consider submitting them to Fortean Bureau. Here is a link to their submission guidelines:

http://www.forteanbureau.com/guidelines.html

G'luck and keep us up to date.

juzzza
February 11th, 2003, 04:15 AM
One more from me.

If any of you have any short tales based (and I mean loosely!!!) on real life phenomenon, consider sending them to FATE Magazine. They pay $25 on publication.

link:

http://www.fatemag.com

g'luck

juzzza
February 11th, 2003, 04:22 AM
Oops, I guess I had better give details of the Magazine that actually published one of my own stories (BUY ISSUE 2 PLEASE).

Here and Now Magazine, they pay 10 per 1000 words. I got five contributor copies and a check for 30 WOOHOO!!!

Here is a link to their submission guidelines:

http://www.bradanpress.co.uk/subm.htm

P.S. Excellent quality paper and they feature stories by published novelists, Hugo Award winners, Fidler Award short listees and unknown Loveable Rogues LOL.

G'luck, and once again, let us know how you got on.

juzzza
February 11th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Just submitted my shortest tale ever (the one called 700 Words on this forum) to a bi-annual printed publication that apart from H, SF & F also requests submissions for a genre they call 'Slipstream'.

They describe it as mind-benders or fiction that makes you wonder what the hell it was you just read!!! Just up my street.

Oh, and they pay 2.50 per 1000 words and 1 contributor's copy.

I will update.

P.S. I have had one of my fantasy short stories published in another mag managed by this editor, so I know they produce an excellent quality magazine.

mistri
February 11th, 2003, 05:05 PM
At the beginning of January I submitted a short to F&SF. Within two weeks I had my rejection - they have a very fast turn around.

I think it was a form rejection , so nothing special. I'll be sending another one there next week.

Kilroy
February 11th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Same here, they reject fast. I sent out three stories, i got my rejection from F&SF fast, still waiting on OnSpec and Analog.

Holbrook
February 15th, 2003, 10:09 AM
Examples of the sort of things I get...

Take one short story "All Things Seen"

Andromeda Spaceways.

Held for two months pending a decision whether or not to use.

In the end *sigh* Comments: "You can rest assured that your story is of high quality, but...."

Fantasque Mag.

Comment: "Not suitable to their current needs."

Flesh and Blood Press.

Comment: "Interesting idea, but in the end the story itself just doesn't have the right dark fantasy we seek."

Beyond the Dust.

Comment: "Alas I'm going to pass on it. The story was well done, just too great a focus on the past."

As to major submissions of novels, these are on hold pending, well things are moving in that department and I am not commenting any further for a while...

milamber_reborn
February 15th, 2003, 09:22 PM
I got rejected by Andromeda Spaceways. Got a personalised email saying that I began with too much exposition and the story could be told in half the words. They got back to quick too.

For another good Australian zine, try Aurealis.

juzzza
March 18th, 2003, 05:38 AM
One of my fantasy shorts called 'Arthur's Tavern' is going to appear in the last edition of LEGEND ever.

Great that I am being featured, really sad that it is the last edition of a truly great magazine.

LEGEND have always been old school, a contributor's copy and publish credit is what you get for your work.

I really wanted to appear in LEGEND so I am over the moon. For info, the mag is critically acclaimed by the British Fantasy Society.