View Full Version : New to the whole comic scene

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Stor-All
May 14th, 2003, 06:01 PM
Since elementary school, I've loved X-Men. But I never really bought any comics, just the action figures and watched the shows. Now, however, I'm getting a little more into the comic scene a little more. So what I'm looking for is maybe something similar to X-Men, only a little bit more "mature". Maybe something not related to Marvel at all.

fluffy bunny
May 15th, 2003, 05:52 AM
have a look at watchmen- every comic store propably has a copy of the paperback - a lot darker than most superhero fare. Also one of the best comic storylines out there. Totally separate from other comics.

Warning- watchmen and batman:the dark knight returns together heralded the coming of the 'dark' (nasty/grimy) age of superhero comics - not light and fluffy stuff.

Blackwing
May 18th, 2003, 09:29 AM
New X-Men stuff is grittier! You might want to check out the New X-Men tradepaperbacks by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. Also, some consider the Ultimate X-Men to be more mature. They are available free at the Marvel site.

Some of the older JLA trades are somewhat more mature such as Kingdom come.

Some of my personal favourites are Sandman and Lucifer. Sandman is available in trades and Lucifer is ongoing comic. They are not superhero stuff, though.

Ouroboros
May 18th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Have a look at 'The Authority' graphic novels, the first five or so story arcs are collected together, if you are looking for a mature take on superhero comics.

The basic premise is that 'the Authority' are a group of super-beings who behave the way you or I might if we found ourselves to be walking weapons of mass destruction. They topple the governments they think of as corrupt, threaten the US president etc.

'Watchmen' is pretty fantastic. 'Planetary' might be up your alley as well as 'The Invisibles'.

There are other great comics aimed at adults out there but these would relate pretty closely to the same type of genre as the X-men.

fluffy bunny
May 18th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Have a look at 'The Authority' graphic novels, the first five or so story arcs are collected together, if you are looking for a mature take on superhero comics.

The basic premise is that 'the Authority' are a group of super-beings who behave the way you or I might if we found ourselves to be walking weapons of mass destruction. They topple the governments they think of as corrupt, threaten the US president etc.

'Watchmen' is pretty fantastic. 'Planetary' might be up your alley as well as 'The Invisibles'.

There are other great comics aimed at adults out there but these would relate pretty closely to the same type of genre as the X-men.

Have to agree with all of that.

Ouroboros
May 19th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Hey fluffy-

What did you make of 'The Monarchy' and 'The Establishment'?

Maybe it's just me, but I found 'The Monarchy' really confusing.

Stor-All
May 19th, 2003, 04:57 PM
Thanks for your help. I'll check these all out.

fluffy bunny
May 19th, 2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Hey fluffy-

What did you make of 'The Monarchy' and 'The Establishment'?

Maybe it's just me, but I found 'The Monarchy' really confusing.

Loved the authority (preferred ellis' issues rather than millar's stuff, but both halves read quite differently). Read through an issue or 2 of the monarchy and the establishment in stores, but they didn't seem that good in comparison to the authority- just left them on the shelves. My tastes in comics aren't centered around the superhero genre specifically (though I do dabble in the genre), so didn't feel guilty about leaving those titles on the shelf.

My actual recommended list can be found here (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/2AOFRQRDAUOLA/026-3684864-9287639) - it just didn't quite meet stor-al's requirements. Left kingdom come off- great story, but seems a bit too dependant on knowledge of the DCU for a newcomer to comics

Stor-All
May 20th, 2003, 06:26 PM
I went to my comic store today...looked for quite a while for Watchmen but didn't find any. I ended up picking up 3 comics:
The Authority which I just finished reading..and can say that I have no idea what is going on.
I also got Transformers because I used to love the show and action figures, and this other one that I'm drawing a blank on the name right now but looked pretty cool.

Kilroy
May 20th, 2003, 07:24 PM
The new Transformers stuff is cool. I also grab the Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates. Great stuff.

Kilroy Was Here