PDA

View Full Version : THE TAWNY MAN Trilogy (Beware - Spoilers!)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Rob B
May 24th, 2003, 04:13 PM
This topic
will likely have
some spoilers
in it
so.......
reader beware
~~~Badgerlock's warning to FitzRob, pedantic admin of the SFFW RH Forums

Ok folks lets dish it out here. In this RH forum, there isn't really a dedicated topic to her most recent, and almost finished, trilogy. I've just read Golden Fool and loved it. I am more impressed with her in every book I read. Thoughts on the saga thus far? What will happen in the final installment? Here's a place for discussion and speculation,

My thoughts thus far on this trilogy. I find it very interesting to see and older Fitzy involved in Buckeep and the duchies. Some things I sense that Hobb may be teasing

Kettricken and Fitz. There is an undercurrent of sexual tension between the two, IMHO. They both respect each other, almost more than any other characters in the saga. Fitz pretty much holds his Queen on a pedestal above reproach, whereas his mentor(s) Chade and the Fool he begins to feel some, not so much disdain, but sees them capable of error, especially but GF.

Fool/Amber
We all knew they were the same person. We all knew Foolish Amber loved Fitzy in a special way, more than just friends. One thing has not been answered, in my mind at least. Is Fool/Amber male of female? When Lord Golden shows the tatoos to Fitz, he covers his chest. Does this mean Fool/Amber/Golden is a woman?

Part of me was hoping for more of the primary characters from Liveship to show up, maybe Malta, maybe Brashen. But upon reflection, I think Hobb handled it well. If she did put some of those more primary characters in The Tawny Man, then it could have been construed as somewhat contrived.

Anyway, those are my quick thoughts after just finishing GF.

Mamb
May 24th, 2003, 05:07 PM
I have always suspected some unfinished (or unstarted, for that matter) business between Fitz and Kettricken. Since the time Verity let his guard drop and Fitz eavesdropped on their lovemaking, there have been several moments where I hoped or feared something might happen between her and Fitz. She has always treated him with respect, and they have shared Wit-experiences together.
On the way to find Verity, she tells Fitz that despite his scars and broken nose, he is still handsome and if she were not already married, things might have turned out differently. It is also implied that deep inside she knew it was Fitz who made her pregnant, but Verity's sheer skill-presence convinced her that Verity was the father in every way that mattered.

In the Tawny Man trilogy, this tension continues, exacerbated by the fact that Kettricken is now a widow. But as you pointed out, Fitz still sees her as another level an beyond reach. I suspect it will finish as yet another tragic failure for Fitz - he really is no good at relationships (friendly relationships with other men, let alone sexual relationships with the opposite sex). He is too constipate and reverant to allow his emotions to surface and nothing significant will ever happen between the two:( . That's my pessimistic view (come on, Fitz has let us down too many times for us believe he will actually get it right this time:D )

In my dislike of uncertainty, I have concluded that Fool/Amber is of another race where there are no gender lines. So (s)he is neither male nor female, IMHO. I think that mystery will be left to hang.

I dread the day, (and will probably cry when it happens - yes I am soft on those things) but I am convinced that Chade must die soon. He gradually losing his marbles and his years of drug-taking cannot have done him any good in the long run. The only way out for him is to turn the Skill upon himself the way Kettle did. But doesn't that mean he will no longer be able use the Skill for wider purposes? Cos Kettle certainly couldn't. Will he take that risk?

Not sure about the overlap of characters. It should probably be restrictedto the level in Golden Fool, with people like Selden and Tintaglia taking on a bigger role. Malta might be introduced with her links to Tintaglia, as might the Satrap in the war negotiations. But Althea and Brashen have virtually no relevance to the Skill/Elderling/Dragon saga and so are unlikely to appear.

OK, that will do for now...

Oh, and Fitz, may I refer to you as Flagg in this thread, as one Fitz is plenty enough to mess with my mind :D

Rob B
May 24th, 2003, 05:26 PM
Mamb- FF will do for this thread.

I kind of thought Fool/Amber was a different race from The Farseer but there was very little given about the race. If anything, I thought of the Fool almost asexually.

The relationship between Kettricken and Fitz was always of interest in what was left unsaid. I don't think Fitz will ever allow himself a degree of happiness, no matter how it may be unavoidable.

I agree, I don't think Chade is going to survive the next installment. I really thought she was going to have Fitz and Burrich interact, but it was consistent with so many previous unfulfillments that Hobb didn't have them interact.

Lucky Joe
May 24th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Wouldn't it be interesting if Fitz came face to face with Paragon. That would be kind of a shock to the system, though the possiblity will probably be hinted at and passed by in true Hobb style.

Imho Fitz and Kettricken are unlikely to get together, the missed opportunities and failures in Fitz's life are the things that make him who he is. And he's never been destined for the good old happy ending, though having created this expectation it's entirely probable it will be turned on it's head and everything will turn out peachy. Who knows, but then thats one of the things I like about these books.

Iskaral Pust
July 31st, 2003, 04:25 PM
I just finished Fool's Errand today and I honestly couldn't say wheather it's better or worse the Farseer and Liveship Trader trilogys (In my opinion they are equally good). The series won't be the same without a certain wolf.

Evil Agent
July 31st, 2003, 05:13 PM
MODS!
Can you SPoilerize that post? I've already read the book, but if I hadn't, I'd be VERY VERY UPSET! It's one of the best/most important parts of the book!

Hobbit
July 31st, 2003, 05:20 PM
Can you Spoilerize that post?

Erm.....Evil, it does say so in BIG RED LETTERS at the top of the thread?

But just in case, I've added a label to the thread title.

Hobbit

Evil Agent
July 31st, 2003, 06:13 PM
Fair enough, but I just think that Spoiler warnings can not be used enough!

Hobbit
July 31st, 2003, 06:22 PM
I just think that Spoiler warnings can not be used enough!
Yes - no problem. We'd hate to spoil it for anyone.

Hobbit

rune
October 19th, 2003, 06:09 AM
I loved this book in the series, more so than the first one.