View Full Version : Sacha Baron Cohen aka Ali G aka Borat aka Bruno

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Mamb
May 25th, 2003, 08:24 AM
My God he is hilarious. Has anyone else seen the Ali G show? Either the UK or USA series? Borat is my favourite. He is just surreal in his outrageousness - like his dinner table conversation of "I had a good sh!t" and "Last night, I had sex".

I know some people will write him off as juvenile and offensive, but what can I say - I have laughing seizures during every episode:D

Vladimir
May 25th, 2003, 08:46 AM
well I liked the 'Posh & Becks Interview' even more but yea.. he's a funny guy

Ogier
May 25th, 2003, 09:01 AM
They showed a couple episodes in Finnish TV a few years back. Don't know if it was from UK or USA.

I have to say that it really made me laugh sometimes. Shame they didn't get any more of it...

Ouroboros
May 25th, 2003, 11:38 AM
This is gonna make me unpopular, but...

I have to say that although I do think that Ali G is funny, I feel there is a problem with the concept.

Many black community groups have complained that this show is effectively a way for white middle class people to laugh at black culture, through this crazy Ali G hip-hop figure, without actually being obviously racist.

In the 70s in the UK, and earlier, the airwaves were rife with jokes about blacks and irish. Ali G is the contemporary equivalent. More subtle, less obvious, but sucessfull for the same reasons...

An upper class public school boy dressing up as a wacky black guy... it's not a million miles away from the old 'gollywog' figure that is banned from Tv nowadays...

Mamb
May 25th, 2003, 12:52 PM
Thats what I try and tell myself as well - I can fully see why it could be interpreted as subtle racism but I can still appreciate the comedy for a number of reasons.

Yes, it does kind of encourage stereotypes about black people and that might not be a good thing. But with the vast majority of black celebrities being in the hip-hop and R&B music scene, is one more hip-hop figure (albeit a spoof one) really that offensive?

The other thing is that makes it totally different to a Gollywog is that Ali G is portrayed as cool and a youth icon. That is, he is shown in a positive light. As long as people don't start thinking all black people are like him, it's OK. But it is shown to be affecting people's attitudes towards black people in general, then yes, I would want it taken off air.

Otherwise, we could argue that European and American soap operas should be taken off air, as it seems to prove to the Islamic world that all white people are lecherous and immoral.

Ouroboros
May 25th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Mamb
The other thing is that makes it totally different to a Gollywog is that Ali G is portrayed as cool and a youth icon.

Except, is Ali G really portrayed as cool, or in much of a positive light? More like inept, amusingly ignorant etc.

As long as people don't start thinking all black people are like him, it's OK. But it is shown to be affecting people's attitudes towards black people in general, then yes, I would want it taken off air.

Agreed; generally. I'm not suggesting that the show should be taken off the air, but something about it does strike a bum note with me.

Otherwise, we could argue that European and American soap operas should be taken off air, as it seems to prove to the Islamic world that all white people are lecherous and immoral.

Except, soaps like 'Days of our Lives' aren't watched by people who want to laugh at the crazy antics of WASPs - they're not specifically derisive in nature ?

Oorag
May 25th, 2003, 02:59 PM
Has anyone seen his movie, In Da House? I thought it was pretty funny, and it clearly shows that the Ali G character is making fun of suburban kids who have nothing better to do than affect gangsta culture.

kegasaurus
May 25th, 2003, 04:58 PM
ACtually Ali G is taking the piss out of all those white hip-hoppers adn rappers who have 'graced' our music scene over the last ten-fifteen years adn all the pansies who have to follow the 'trends.'

Vladimir
May 25th, 2003, 07:00 PM
what he does is make people make a fool of them selves by having them react based on the way he looks and talks.. he just blows the stereotypes out of proportion me thinks

at least.. that's how I've always seen it :confused:

milamber_reborn
May 25th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Ali G is hilarious. I just wish they'd show him more over here.