View Full Version : Joss Whedon's "Firefly"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Ouroboros
May 27th, 2003, 03:32 PM
I've been following this series since they began showing it over here with mixed feelings.

I think the cast are distinctly underwhelming, and none of the characters actually reach out and grab me.

The protagonist is actually the runt of the litter in terms of characterisation. Whedon describes Mal Reynolds as "dark" and "driven"- a grizzled, disillusioned war veteran. Sorry, I don't see it- he's just another Han Solo facsimile - without the humour or charisma. Whatever Whedon's intention, somewhere along the lines someone buggered it up.

That said, there's something about this show that makes me grudgingly tune in. Some of the set pieces and FX are impressive for a TV show. Whedon's penchant for great one-liners is intact, a la Buffy, though they are more sparse.

It's like a cross between Ride with the Devil and Blake's 7.

What say you?

trentdick2882
May 27th, 2003, 06:26 PM
I would watch it, but I'm still pissed that they cancelled Dark Angel so I refuse to watch television. :p

Carmichael
May 27th, 2003, 06:28 PM
Firefly's still on? I thought they wised up and canceled that borefest awhile ago...

Hobbit
May 27th, 2003, 06:50 PM
It's only just started showing here in Europe through the SciFi Channel (yet to be shown on terrestrial!)

Like Ouroboros I too have mixed feelings about it - I've quite enjoyed the three episodes seen so far, though am disappointed that it will not have chance to develop and mature - takes the idea of Rodenberry's 'Wagon Train to the Stars' (original selling point for St*r Tr*k) a little further.

Yes it is stereotyped and cliched, but I quite enjoyed it and will keep watching it. Reminds me of lots of other things though - especially 'Space: Above and Beyond' (which in turn was a Starship Troopers derivative!) and even 'Alas Smith and Jones' - therefore tries to be 'all to all things' a little.

Hobbit

Ouroboros
May 28th, 2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by Hobbit
Reminds me of lots of other things though - especially 'Space: Above and Beyond' (which in turn was a Starship Troopers derivative!) and even 'Alas Smith and Jones' - therefore tries to be 'all to all things' a little.

Hobbit [/B]

Bizarre: I was about to mention that it reminded me of Space above and beyond in my first post - but then thought: "Why the hell does it remind me of that?" and left it out.

I suppose it was the battle scene at the beginning of the opening episode, coupled with the fact that they seem to have bought all the Mobile Infantry uniforms from the Starship Troopers set and are using them for the Alliance ground forces...

Kilroy
June 24th, 2003, 02:32 PM
Hey, I liked the show immensely. I wish I could find it on TV in Canada but it has disappeared since being canceled. I was very disappointed when it failed.

Kilroy Was Here

Ouroboros
June 24th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Kilroy, if you're a bit unscrupulous then you can download the entire series from the web, with bloopers and outtakes as well....

Shehzad
June 24th, 2003, 03:35 PM
...And that's precisely what I intend to do, since almost every night it was on, I was on call...

Hobbit
June 24th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Am now thinking more Wild West West (TV series rather than the Film, which I haven't seen, but i guess it might be similar).

Some episodes a little patchy, but overall it had potential.... :(

Is coming out on DVD soon.

Hobbit

Shehzad
June 24th, 2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Hobbit
Is coming out on DVD soon.

How soon is soon? And hopefully it'll cost under $50...

Still, will check out the downloaded episodes first before committing to yet another boxed set.