PDA

View Full Version : How do you support the indy press?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

juzzza
May 30th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Obviously we have many writers on this forum who are submitting work to genre magazines for publication.

One of the main problems for editors of even the most popular and successful magazines, is that many writers expect to appear in the magazine but never actually subscribe to the magazine and support its longevity.

Clearly the long-term effect is that the writing market shrinks as more and more quality mags go out of business. Plenty of submissions does not keep the magazine afloat.

So, how do you writers support the indy press and the writing markets in general?

I currently subscribe to 5 indy mags that provide quality sf/f/h and crime short stories throughout the year.

Mamb
May 30th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Sorry, it may just be my ignorance, but what is the "Indy" press?

juzzza
May 30th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Basically any magazine or anthology, which is not owned by a huge media company.

That means pretty much the majority of genre fiction mags, even popular titles by TTA PRESS such as The Third Alternative, or others like Black Gate, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction and so on.

see the link below and click on Paying Markets or Pro Markets to see a massive list of magazines that pay for fiction and their submission guidelines:

LINK (http://www.ralan.com)

Mamb
May 30th, 2003, 02:49 PM
Cheers Juz:)

That site is actually quite useful - I intend to write some stuff this summer (I've got all these ideas, but just haven't had time to sit down and write yet..:( ) so a list of potential publishers will come in handy when I reach submission level...

And on the original topic of this thread:

No, I don't currently subscribe to any literary magazines but now that you've informed me, I'll be on the lookout for publications that appeal to me.

Shanoncia
June 2nd, 2003, 02:18 PM
Actually when it comes to indy media I think of things more like this (http://www.indymedia.org) ! :)

But... when it comes to writing I would rather do it with a smaller non- "almighty corporate crap," place. Not that my work is or ever will be good enough for me to be charitable with it or anything... It's just personal beliefs and the things I've seen and/or ben a part of that influence me here. :)