View Full Version : I Robot.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Evil Agent
June 7th, 2003, 05:45 PM
My problem is that I don't like Will Smith. He's a COMEDIAN, ex-rapper. He's not very good at dramatic roles, and I've read the whole Robot series. He is NOT a likely Lije. However, I WILL give him a chance...

As for the title, well what's the story going to be based on? Why not call it Caves of Steel, that's a sweet name.

Anyway, wasn't 'Bicentennial Man' (with Robin Williams, based on an Asimov robot-novel precursor) supposed to suck?

I bet it will be good, but I'm just not keen on old Willy.

Shehzad
June 8th, 2003, 12:51 PM
The problem is, that story is nothing like ANY of the robot novels. I am not excited. Bicentennial Man sucked, this one I am not holding high hopes for, either.

Shehzad
June 25th, 2003, 12:19 PM
My worst fears are coming to pass.

From Sci Fi Wire (http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-06/25/12.00.film):

"Among other things, the movie changes the stories' character of Dr. Susan Calvin into a young woman, played by Bridget Moynahan, and introduces a new main robot, Sonny, a computer-generated character..."

"...we took a bit of a side step, and we're very faithful to the spirit of the Asimov stories, but we've more or less constructed our own narrative."

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Shehzad
June 29th, 2003, 12:14 PM
There's a feeling of impending doom...

"Cromwell plays Dr. Lanning, the creator of the most advanced robot ever built. Greenwood plays Lance Robertson, the top executive at U.S. Robotics, who tries to impede a murder investigation. Smith stars as Detective Spooner, a technophobe who suspects robots may be the perpetrators of a series of murders, though their programming prohibits them from harming people, the trade paper reported"

From www.scifiweekly.com

flintorama
June 29th, 2003, 02:49 PM
"...we took a bit of a side step, and we're very faithful to the spirit of the Asimov stories, but we've more or less constructed our own narrative."

Here come the Hollywood one liners, and stupid narrow minded robot jokes for the average American hillbilly. That is soooooo unfortunate, I was hoping they would do better, but know we are just going to see Men in Black 3 complete with Robot's and Race based comedy. (something which viewers in every other country in the world are sick of).

Shehzad
June 29th, 2003, 04:22 PM
Time for a

I guess for every Lord of the Rings they have to have a Battlefield: Earth. It's a pity, since they already had a fantastic screenplay for I, Robot, written by Harlan Ellison, no less. It's also a pity that THAT particular project fell through.

The most annoying thing is that I'm a big fan of Proyas. The Crow is one of my favourite movies, and Dark City was another I enjoyed. However, if you're going to make a total mockery of Asimov's legacy, you shouldn't call it I, Robot. Call it Isaac Asimov's Robots of Hollywood for all I care, but if you want to name it after one of Asimov's great collection of short stories, you better stay within the vicinity of the direction the story is supposed to take. By keeping only the main character from the I, Robot collection, making her younger and adding on a whole slew of what sound like extremely cliched characters you are doing a disservice not only to Asimov but to every SF fan out there.

But then, since when did Hollywood care?

I will continue to rant on this, since it's a subject which is particularly annoying to me. It's as if they renamed one of Van Damme's action movies Heroes Die since it features a central character who knows martial arts.

Sammie
July 7th, 2003, 07:15 PM
Man, I don't think good books should ever be turned into films. They get it wrong so many more times than they get it right. (Not that Shz's cynicism is rubbing off on me, or anything!)

kahnovitch
July 8th, 2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Sammie
Man, I don't think good books should ever be turned into films. They get it wrong so many more times than they get it right. (Not that Shz's cynicism is rubbing off on me, or anything!)

If you had your way Sammie, we'd have virtually no SF movies in the world as the vast majority are based on the old masters of the genre like Phil K Dick, Heinlein and Asimov.
Flims like Blade Runner, Starship Troopers, Minority Report, The Thing, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Total Recall would never have been made.

I admit a lot have films have been "based" so loosely on their respective books that the end up turning into entirely different stories and have little to do with their source material.

However sometimes they do them justice. (look at all the LoTR fans raving about the films on this forum)
Plus there is the (somewhat questionable) arguement that the films bring the original books and their writers into the minds of a new wave of potential readers.

From what members have said about this project though, it's definitely a story that should be left alone, if it's going to be re-written to the extent that it becomes unrecognisable.

Shehzad
July 8th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by kahnovitch

From what members have said about this project though, it's definitely a story that should be left alone, if it's going to be re-written to the extent that it becomes unrecognisable.

Exactly!

Hobbit
July 8th, 2003, 07:09 PM
Congratulations, Shehzad. I guess the letter published here (http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue324/letters.html) (5th down!) is related to this topic. :D ;)

It'll be interesting to see what response/s you get to this.

Pretty much agree with all that's been said so far - sadly, nothing extra to add. Would like to keep an open mind about the film, but can see me doing nothing here but grit my teeth. *sigh*

Hobbit