View Full Version : I Robot.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Shehzad
July 8th, 2003, 06:34 PM
I guess I feel fairly strongly about this issue. Asimov, is, after all, a favourite author of mine.

Hobbit
July 8th, 2003, 06:37 PM
I guess I feel fairly strongly about this issue. Asimov, is, after all, a favourite author of mine.

Don't think we've noticed that before... ;)

To some extent though this is the old story of what cinema can do to novels... :(

Hobbit

fluffy bunny
March 14th, 2004, 06:25 AM
well, the trailer is out

http://www.apple.com/trailers

It looks like they've played the book very loosely, and gone for a conspiracyesque blockbuster. The trailer doesn't look that bad though, even if it doesn't seem too loyal to the book. I'm not convinced by Will Smith's adoption of the wisecracking routine fot this role, or the de-emphasis on the 3 rules of robotics

Is this I,Robot or 'The Caves of Steel' or some weird hybrid?

Shehzad
March 14th, 2004, 02:38 PM
It's neither-- it's "inspired" by Asimov's books. The Hollywood bastardization of my favourite books continues...

Hobbit
March 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM
.... in the same way that Bicentennial Man was? *shudder*

Without wanting to give up on this film before it comes out (but frankly not holding out much hope!) someone somewhere must be able to make a (relatively) faithful version of an Asimov book?

Caves of Steel, perhaps?

Off topic - sort of - I've just bought a set of the (Original) Outer Limits DVD's, which should get to me soon.

Am very excited over this, as this was one of my favourites when younger, and didn't realise they were available in boxed sets (and so they're not, near Hobbit Towers - I've had to get region 1 from abroad and hope they work!).

Anyway, one of the episodes I remember was - I Robot, one of (if not the only?) episodes of the series based on a short story. I remember it because Leonard Nimoy was in it, and remember it being good, but apart from that can't remember how close (if at all!) it was to the original story.

Am looking forward to seeing it, though - despite the shoestring budget and black and white picture, I still suspect it'll be the best Asimov I've seen on screen... anyone else seen it?

Hobbit

Shehzad
March 14th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Hobbit
.... in the same way that Bicentennial Man was? *shudder*

I did not watch that movie, and will continue to avoid it like the plague. I have heard reports from friends, and they have convinced me that my course of action is true and just.

Besides, Celine Dion and Asimov...... **brrr/shudder/shake**

Haven't seen much of the Outer Limits myself. Nowadays, having munched through Babylon 5, I'm about to embark on my journey through the Yes, Minister DVD box set. Plus I've ordered the Quantum Leap Season 1 box set....

Shehzad
March 14th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Oh s**t....!

Just saw the trailer, and it's worse than I expected...

Will Smith reprises his usual comedic routine, robots attack and kill humans...

This movie will have to pry my $10 from my cold, dead hands. The only way I'll watch is to illegally download it.

I'm angry as heck...

Oorag
March 15th, 2004, 12:30 AM
If you've seen The Animatrix, you'll basically have already seen I Robot. The plot of "Second Reinessance" and this look almost identical.

kahnovitch
March 15th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Oorag
If you've seen The Animatrix, you'll basically have already seen I Robot. The plot of "Second Reinessance" and this look almost identical.

yeah, looks more like a "rise of the machines" story of the AI becoming sentient and rebelling on a global scale etc.
Can't remember any of that in I Robot or any of the robots series really.
In fact I don't know why they even bothered linking it to Asimov's name as it'll only annoy fans of his work. :mad:

Hobbit
March 15th, 2004, 06:34 PM
I did not watch that movie, and will continue to avoid it like the plague. I try not to damn it before I see a movie, but I have seen it. The things we do.... :)

Will Smith reprises his usual comedic routine, robots attack and kill humans... *sigh* Sort of Men in Black III then. *another sigh*

The robots stories did deal with the rise of the machines, so to speak, but they were there to help and serve. Anyone in filmland remember Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics? :mad:

Plus I've ordered the Quantum Leap Season 1 box set.... Another one I didn't know about. Oh boy! :D

Hobbit