View Full Version : I Robot.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Shehzad
March 16th, 2004, 12:57 AM
Yes Hobbit: "Oh Boy!" I'm greatly looking forward to it...

Hobbit
March 21st, 2004, 06:28 PM
And just to quash my earlier comment.

Have spent a pleasant weekend dipping into the Outer Limits DVDs, I find that the episode I Robot was actually based on the Adam Link Stories by Eando Binder (two of the original pulp writers of Sf in the 1930's). Nevertheless, despite it not being Asimov and allowing for the facts that it was produced very cheaply and at nearly 40 years old, it has dated a lot, I enjoyed it.

...Even when I realised that, despite the small screen time he's on for, I'd spent a lot of time looking at Leonard Nimoy's ears... :D

Still room for that definitive Asimov though.. and having watched Harlan Ellison's episodes of the Outer Limits, I am reminded again what a cracking version of I Robot he would have scripted!

Hobbit

knivesout
March 22nd, 2004, 03:25 AM
You know what really scares me? They'll probably rent some hack to do a novelisation of the movie...and then there will be this pastiche called 'I, Robot' floating around to forever obscure one of SF's classic books...bah. :mad:

Evil Agent
March 22nd, 2004, 10:14 AM
NO! :(

I knew it. I had a bad feeling from the start. As soon as I saw the trailer last night, I knew I hated it! Well maybe hate is a strong words, but it REALLY did not look good... robots crawling around like spiders, attacking humans, what the hell??? It looked exactly like film 2 of the ANIMATRIX! But with Will Smith's TIRED comedy thrown it.. oh god.

In a way, though, I guess I'm happy. I though Smith would actually play Lije Bailey or something, and butcher the real novel even more. At least this seems to be nothing like the book, and therefore can't really damage the book, because it's NOT the book! :)

Shehzad
March 22nd, 2004, 06:08 PM
Twisted logic Evil, but unfortunately its a movie said to be "inspired" by or "derived from" the Asimov novel.

The same way crap is derived from a medium-well done steak, I guess.

kahnovitch
March 23rd, 2004, 06:59 AM
I think this film is just an excuse to jump on the gravy train of recent revolting (in every sense of the word) A.I films, like the Matrix and Terminator trilogies.

Shehzad
March 23rd, 2004, 05:34 PM
Not to mention A.I. itself...

Leiali
February 1st, 2005, 11:30 AM
This seems to be the only thread that I could write in, could I be wrong?

I quite liked the film - watched it over the weekend. But it was a bit shallow and I would like to read the Asimov now - which I should think will be a bit more profound. Still, Will Smith is his usual self, the main robot was great, and I thought the effects were superb.....still a shallow film though.

Monty Mike
February 1st, 2005, 11:39 AM
Yep, I loved it - 10/10 :D

Great Film

Hereford Eye
February 1st, 2005, 12:30 PM
Still room for that definitive Asimov though.. and having watched Harlan Ellison's episodes of the Outer Limits, I am reminded again what a cracking version of I Robot he would have scripted!
He did write it but it never got made. See here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0743486595/qid=1107282952/sr=1-46/ref=sr_1_46/102-2669052-5475362?v=glance&s=books