PDA

View Full Version : OMG...I think I died and went to heaven...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Erebus
May 31st, 2003, 06:16 AM
Yes, it's true...I am in 70's headbanger heaven! My darling wife has just surprised me with the new Led Zeppelin DVD, How The West Was Won, a 2 disc set of live concert footage, interviews, rare TV appearances etc. etc. More than 5 hours of one of my all-time favourite rock bands, filtered, cleaned-up and remastered by Jimmy Page. What a labour of love! What more is there to say other than brilliant? Perhaps some of our younger members have never experienced the sheer brilliance that was Led Zeppelin, although for us older headbangers now in their forties, like Cad and myself, this DVD is a treat and a half! My rating: 100 out of ten! :)

So, please excuse me whilst I continue along my Stairway To Heaven...

trentdick2882
May 31st, 2003, 09:03 AM
Hey, i'm 19 and love Ledd Zeppelin. Black Sabbath's better though :cool:

Erebus
May 31st, 2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by trentdick2882
Hey, i'm 19 and love Ledd Zeppelin. Black Sabbath's better though :cool:

Only 1 'd' in Led! :) And yes, Sabbath with Ozzy are equal favs and I have every album of the original line up, and most of the others as well. :)

trentdick2882
May 31st, 2003, 10:53 AM
Hehe, sorry the extra 'd' slipped in there. I'll have to check out the DVD, I've seen an older one, but I didn't think it was very good.

NeonKnight
May 31st, 2003, 11:57 AM
Now this is more like it! (Compared to the The Song Remains the Same)

I've been anticipating this release for quite a while and I am thrilled!

THIS my friends was the greatest live band and if you don't think so, check this DVD out, no one performed like Zeppelin at the top of their game!

"Led Zeppelin DVD"

Royal Albert Hall, January 1970:
"We're Gonna Groove"
"I Can't Quit You Baby"
"Dazed and Confused"
"White Summer"
"What Is and What Should Never Be"
"How Many More Times"
"Moby Dick"
"Whole Lotta Love"
"Communication Breakdown"
"C'mon Everybody"
"Something Else"
"Bring It on Home"

Madison Square Garden, July 1973:
"Black Dog"
"Misty Mountain Hop"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"The Ocean"

Earl's Court, May 1975:
"Going to California"
"That's the Way"
"Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp"
"In My Time of Dying"
"Trampled Underfoot"
"Stairway to Heaven"

Knebworth Festival, August 1979:
"Rock and Roll"
"Nobody's Fault But Mine"
"Sick Again"
"Achilles Last Stand
"In the Evening"
"Kashmir"
"Whole Lotta Love"

+ Bonus Videos

"How the West Was Won" CD

"L.A. Drone"
"Immigrant Song"
"Heartbreaker"
"Black Dog"
"Over the Hills And Far Away"
"Since I've Been Loving You"
"Stairway to Heaven"
"Going to California"
"That's the Way"
"Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp"
"Dazed and Confused"
"What Is and What Should Never Be"
"Dancing Days"
"Moby Dick"
"Whole Lotta Love" (Medley)
"Rock and Roll"
"The Ocean"
"Bring It on Home"

Couple spoilers follow: :D

Bonham is the dominating factor for me so far...WHAT A DRUMMER!

Some more thoughts now that I've seen most of the DVD and heard the majority of the CD:

All the footage is great but the first time through, the Earls Court and Knebworth shows really stand out. Achilles Last Stand, Sick Again and Trampled Under Foot all done as only the masters can.

Funny interview footage too as Plant and Page answer inane questions like "How did The Beatles influence you?" and "What is the message?"

The 1972 Forum shows on the CD are so fine as well. I haven't gotten through everything yet...**** this is 8 hours of great rock music on here.

The other thing that has struck me is Page in all his sartorial splendor. His leads in those days never cease to amaze and come across as extremely innovative and fresh sounding, even today. Keep in mind, Page was blazing some major trails back in those days.

Also, their acoustic material is presented in a lush way. To me ,this is what makes the great Zeppelin so unique, they were able to show off their lighter side, which makes the heavy side seem just that much heavier. Its this contrast between dark and light which reveals their often imitated but never duplicated aura of sonic splendor.

I've always felt that JPJ does not really get his due, at the show I saw in 6/77, his keyboards throughout were outstanding, including his extended solo during No Quarter.

So it comes as a slight disappointment to me that during the acoustic set at Earls Court, we see plenty of Plant and Page but very little of Bonham and Jones. Jonesy is playing the hell out of the mandolin, which I would enjoy seeing, but the powerful presence of the big two seems to drag the camera away.

The good news is JPJ and the band are apparently back on good terms, after the exceedingly rude way he was treated at the time of Page/Plant tour. A reunion does seem like its out of the question once again however...

The best $40 any of us will spend this year...

Hobbit
May 31st, 2003, 01:47 PM
(Merged the two threads here as they seemed to be the same theme! Hobbit)

Good review, Neon....

I'd better nail my colours to the mast here and say that I am not the biggest Led Zep fan in the world. Though I always appreciated their collective talents, I was more of a Yes and a Genesis fan, though I had friends who were BIG fans. I tended to like the predictable ones - Black Dog, Stairway, Kashmir, the lighter stuff.

However I have bought this DVD set and it is brilliant - the surround sound is great, the quality of the pictures fantastic. It is clearly a work of love and having had so little Led Zep video footage available it must be one that 'real fans' (rather like those above! :D) have been waiting for. I'm still digging through the extras!

Hats off to Jimmy Page for the reconditioning and release of this stuff - the price is little more than a normal CD if you looked around - mine was 21 I think - about $33?

Hobbit

Evil Agent
May 31st, 2003, 01:59 PM
I'm 24, and have been a HUGE die-hard Zeppelin fan since I was 16, believe it or not. Not all of the younger generation has lost touch with the Masters!

I read something about that DVD the other day. How is it? How does it compare to "The Song Remains The Same"...?

Never mind, I just read the review! Sounds great.

trentdick2882
May 31st, 2003, 02:03 PM
Hobbit, Yes is amazing, I don't know anyone who listens to them except my dad and whatever friends I've convinced. I like all that prog-rock stuff from the 70's better than Led Zeppelin. King Crimson, ELP, Yes...

NeonKnight
May 31st, 2003, 04:15 PM
I did not think this was possible . :D

I like it more the second time around. A lot more.

This is going to be staying in my DVD player for a while. Especially this first disc. I almost can't describe my feelings,
but I'll try this:

These early shows are the best rock music I've ever heard. Period.

There is so much that hits me the second time around, the tightness,the unbelievable power of Bonham, the superb confidence these guys have in each other, the abiltiy to work off of each other, to drive each other into higher-highs with every incarnation of every song, they seem to inspire in each other pure magic.

At this young age, they just seem unbelievably, arrogantly sure of themselves, sure that no one had ever seen such incredibly imaginative grandeur in rock history, such virtuoso performances on each of their instruments, in new everchanging,directions with each show and within each song.

What this is also reminding me, as I saw in '77 at MSG for myself, that Page and his bow technique is just incredibly, unfairly special. It is really something to to try to comprehend how he creates dangerous, wonderful, incredible, beautiful sounds with that damm thing.
(good thing I ran out of adjectives there)

Jimmy Page does things with his bow that no one had ever seen, and no one has ever done since. The definition of a rock guitar player when they look it up next century.

I don't think anyone ever expected this in 1970. It is just as astounding today as it ever was then.

What as really astonished me tonite is really paying attention to the Extras on the first DVD. The band is less than a year old, but the performances are so timeless and unimaginatively tight, especially when you consider the short time they are together.

I have never laid my eyes on the Supershow or Tous En Scene shows, both recorded in 1969. If someone from 500 years from now wants to know what rock and roll was really like, what it's defining moment would be, this is what I would show
them.

Thats the best I can do for now, though I have a feeling I may get a few folks to agree with me. Watch it a few times and see...

Dominus
May 31st, 2003, 05:18 PM
So, Led Zeppelin is good? Some of my friends just had a debate, and I think it ended up a tie between Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd for best rock band. Maybe I should check them out.