View Full Version : Space 1999

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
April 26th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Ya all remember this scifi show?

Dam, I gotta say, I really liked it.. I miss seeing the old episodes on TV. I know it's available of DVD, and, I am pretty sure I am going to order a set of em soon here.

Keyoke

Kamakhya
April 27th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Oh yes, I have fond memories of Space 1999. The whole family would gather around the tv to watch it every week. My idol was Mia with the way cool eyebrows. http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Gosh, though it has been years. I barely remember it.

Kamakhya

[This message has been edited by Kamakhya (edited April 27, 2002).]

Hobbit
April 27th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Eagle transporters....all my friends had a Dinky one, but not me!

As ever with the Gerry Anderson's the machines were usually better than the scripts, but there were moments in there when it was good.

I did go and see bits of Moonbase Alpha at a display in Blackpool UK in the late 70's.... http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif

Hobbit

Loque
April 28th, 2002, 12:47 AM
they rebroadcast it in 1999 which was quite a laugh, i liked the early episodes but it seemed to go off towards the end a bit. Still, it was a good series.

Raisuli
May 4th, 2002, 10:42 PM
I caught the repeat showings on BBC a few years ago and time has not been kind to the show. It's best feature were the model work by Derek Meddings and the production design as well as Martin Landau as Koenig.
The scripts were the main weakness.

[This message has been edited by Raisuli (edited May 05, 2002).]

Keyoke
May 5th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Really? I had always thought the stories for Space 1999 were truly unique. Some were quite fantastic (Rules of Luton where plant life is the dominant species).. But, that is one reason why I did like the series.

No offense to Star Trek (Which I enjoy), but, how many times have we seen the same plots used over and over..

I guess I just have a fondness for Space 1999 as it was one of the first scifi shows I remember watching.

Keyoke

Rizangler
May 9th, 2002, 02:34 AM
This was one of the only good sci fi shown of the 1970's I liked it so much as a kid I built my own moon base Alpha out of news paper and wet flour! Spray painted it silver and had a reral cool toy for a while.

I saw an episode or two a few years back and I agree time has not been kind to it. Still I would like to see it again not the nostalgia

Jon Shannow
May 30th, 2002, 06:18 PM
I realy enjoyed that show and still like to watch the re-runs when ever they turn up.

One thing that bugged me about it wasthat they were forever throwing away useful tech they found abandoned space craft extra.

There was talk about a new book comeing out but when I look at amazon all I can find are the old 70's books

Ogg
May 31st, 2002, 05:59 PM
Wow, how did I miss this topic...

I loved 1999, and all the stuff that happened on the moon adrift in space.

I remember watching it all the time as a kid, while my parents just gave me a weird stare from the other room, something they still do I might add...