View Full Version : **animatrix**

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

juzzza
June 3rd, 2003, 03:48 AM
OK, my DVD arrived yesterday. 9 short animation movies set between The Matrix and The Matrix: Reloaded.

I guess this thread is about your favourites. I am looking forward to seeing the one done by the guy who did Ninja Scroll.

I saw Dreamcatcher at the flicks and they played 'The Last Flight of the Osiris' before the main movie. It was superb.

kater
June 3rd, 2003, 04:28 PM
Likewise - its a pity Dreamcatcher sucked :D Flight of the Osiris is very good (better cgi than FF imo) and also very relevant to Reloaded, some of the others are good aswell and much more informative. Program and World Story were the better ones imo.

saintjon
June 3rd, 2003, 06:00 PM
Final Flight of the Osiris was good. I liked the designs for the machines, and the presenation of the two robots at the UN as Adam and Eve suggests a lot of interesting concepts about what the movies are supposed to represent.

Soon Lee
June 5th, 2003, 06:28 PM
I was lucky enough to see all nine on the big screen; the local multiplex did a special screening the weekend before Reloaded opened.

Though, they were not all great, I found them all worthwhile and interesting in their own way. Standouts for me were 'Beyond' (kids find a haunted house where the laws of physics and space-time are awry; then the de-buggers arrive) and 'Detective Story' (film noir about a private eye on the hunt for cyber-criminal Trinity).

I liked that the Animatrix stories are set in and provide more detail to the Matrix universe. For example, 'Kid's Story' tells of where 'the Kid' from Reloaded came from.

It's an ambitious concept trying to seamlessly tie in the Matrix movies with Animatrix and the Enter the Matrix game; 'Final Flight of the Osiris' leads into Reloaded but the story of how the message from the Osiris was retrieved is told in Enter the Matrix. Not convinced that it works but applaud the Wachowskis for trying.

Shehzad
June 6th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Did you check out the gratuitous booty shot in Flight of the Osiris? Woo-hoo!

Miriamele
June 8th, 2003, 08:08 AM
I watched The Animatrix yesterday.

Basically I thought the first 5 sections were very impressive. It was interesting to see how the war between men and machines started, if disturbing. My favourite section was the one called 'Program'--I thought the animation was stunning.

But after 'Program' I thought it went downhill. 'Beyond' was okay, but the last few, especially the very last one called 'Matriculated' I found pretty boring.

The documentary on the history of anime was kind of interesting too.

What did you think of it, Juzz? You asked for our opinions but didn't give your own. :)

kahnovitch
July 8th, 2003, 08:32 AM
I've seen most of them and some help to fill in the blanks between the two films, whereas others are good stories in their own right like "Program" and the Detective one.

Was slightly confused at "World Record" and thought it was poorly done with too many slow-mo's of the guy running and sweating and the ending seemed a little abrupt, but as I got it from a Kazaa style P2P network (so spank me ;) ) maybe it was incomplete.

The 2nd renaissance episodes were good and reminiscent of A.I and Terminator.

saintjon
July 9th, 2003, 06:39 PM
I thought World Record was the most pleasant surprise. At first I was like "What the frig is with this wonky animation and some guy running?" But as it went on I got totally drawn in, I thought the way he "awakened" was very inspiring. And the ending was, IMO, the perfect exclamation point to the whole thing.

BTW, that one was by Mad House (Ninja Scroll crew) as well, and although I was surprised to hear that at first, when you watch the commentary it's basically the emergence of a whole new animator into his own style. I think that's pretty cool, getting to experience a new talent's first chance to choose his own direction and look forward to seeing where the guy's inspirationn takes him next.

Final Flight looked better than FF because it was done by Square! lol

What I really want to know is, where the heck did these Studio 4C guys come from and what are they doing next? I like to think I'm pretty in the loop about good Japanese animation but the Second Rennaissance really blew me away, and I've never heard of that studio before.

Dominus
July 12th, 2003, 12:27 PM
I thought the Animatrix was great, though short for the amount of money I spent on it. The Second Renaissance bit actually (to me) sort of validated the machines and the Matrix, I mean, the humans slaughtered them, forcing them to make their own city apart from humans, then the humans wanted to destroy that because their industries threatened profits, but the machines came forward with overtures of peace, even after all that happened, and were ignored, so the humans, with absolutely no valid reason or hint of moral compunction wage war against the machines, and, losing, blot out the sun in one last desperate attempt to win, to destroy, but are defeated. The machines gave them chances, and the humans deserved no mercy. I am not a robot.

Vladimir
July 12th, 2003, 02:37 PM
The 2nd renaissance eps were the best part of that cd me thinks.. I just loved how they were animated :)