View Full Version : Movies that seem to rip off books, or other movies

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

trentdick2882
June 3rd, 2003, 03:59 PM
I just finished reading Time Out of Joint by Philip K. Dick. That book is so much like the movie "The Truman Show" it's not even funny. They're so much alike, from basic idea, to specific moments in the book and movie.

Also, Maze of Death by Philip K. Dick has some very similar ideas to the Matrix. Can't really describe it....gives away book... :)

Does anyone know other movies that seem to rip off a book or author and aren't credited to them?

Singleton
June 3rd, 2003, 09:07 PM
The thing about the Matrix is that it rips off nearly everyone. If you think bullet-time was original, or the sleek black clothing, or the concept of people being in a grand lab experiment, or "the one" or being able to mentally control the world, or the spookiness of the agents....

Just watch Dark City.

If there hadn't been such a great discrepancy between the antagonists, I would have considered it plausible for Matrix to be the sequel to Dark City.

And if you do see Dark City, compare the final scene to the cover of the Requiem for a Dream DVD. Also if you watch the Dark City DVD, check out the previews, and compare the title graphic to that of Armageddon.

You'd think there'd be a law against such things. (But thankfully there isn't, for Matrix was way cooler than Dark City.)

milamber_reborn
June 4th, 2003, 12:01 AM
Dark City was better than Matrix, IMO. But yes, the similarities are obvious. I wouldn't say Matrix exactly copied it. They went a different angle.

Oorag
June 4th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Dark City only predated Matrix by a year. That's too close together for the Matrix to be copying it. The Maxtrix was being pitched in comic-form to execs before Dark City ever hit the screen. Remember that films take years to make from script to theater.

Dark City also came out before Requiem for a Dream. Aronofsky came under a minor nit of scrutiny for that, because no pier scene existed in the book version of RfaD. He says that he had not seen Dark City, and that the inspiration for the pier scene was a personal event in his life.

Ouroboros
June 4th, 2003, 07:02 AM
Now I'm trying to imagine Jennifer Connolly as Trinity ...

...Hey! Not bad.

kahnovitch
June 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM
There is an older film called "Dreamscape" with Dennis Quaid playing a guy with a variety of ESP powers.

Quaid's character can project himself into people's dreams while they sleep and alter himself inside the "dreamscape".
At the end of the film he has a battle with a similarly gifted individual who has been assassinating people by killing them in their dream, hence they die in the "real" world.

Sound familiar?

"The Cell" with Jennifer Lopez touched on this idea also.

nobody
June 11th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Most film makers are fans of the film and often fans of books (and probably other media). They have probably seen many many films and read many books and I think it would be very hard not to be influenced works of others be it a movie or a book.

trentdick2882
June 11th, 2003, 07:26 AM
I'm not talking about influenced, I'm talking about films that seem like blatant rip-offs, whole plots lifted from a book or another movie without any credit given.

Hungry Jo
June 12th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Harlen Ellinson took the makers of The Terminator to court for ripping off one of his short stories, he won the courst case and they had to pay him and credit him at the begining of the film.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that's a direct rip off.

kahnovitch
June 12th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Hungry Jo
Harlen Ellinson took the makers of The Terminator to court for ripping off one of his short stories, he won the courst case and they had to pay him and credit him at the begining of the film.

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that's a direct rip off.

I think that's the reason there aren't many examples of direct rip-offs to give as film makers aren't stupid enough to leave themselves open to law-suits.
They will generally bargain for the rights of a story or change it just enough that it can't be called a "direct rip-off" despite having blatently obvious influences from other sources.

Some obvious examples are the Kurosawa films like "Yojimbo" and "Seven Samurai" that influenced similar stories set in different scenarios like "Magnificent Seven", and "A Fistful of Dollars". As well as "Battle Beyond the Stars" and "Hawk the Slayer"