PDA

View Full Version : When the words feel right.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Holbrook
June 4th, 2003, 05:28 AM
When you are writing what is the porcess of chosing the words. How do you frame you sentences. How do you fit everything together?

Me:

Sometimes it is coldly, logically I wish to "push" certain emotional buttons or describe something in detail. So I work slowly and carefully.

Then there are times when I just write. The words feel right. The come out and they fit neatly, almost seamlessly into what I want to say. Then the words rush out and a page or two tumble out before I know what is happening. It as if a switch has been tripped and I have a direct line to what needs to be said.

Strange thing is when I edit, it is the former that gets altered the most. The latter, seems to be only corrected for grammar and the odd tense.

I also have found that after about six plus years of this writing lark. I write in a given style. It is not one I have gone out of my way to develop, it has just happened. My third person one is very lyrical and has a strange tempo that ebbes and flows. It seems to naturally fall from a quiet piece to an action one, then slows down again.

My first person one does seem to be self mocking, and often very tongue in cheek, even in the serious sections. This of the two is the most likely to be written in the "rush", the words tumbling out as I said above. Which has had me thinking is it the different in POV that contributes to the different ways I have of writing?

What are others thoughts on this and the way they work.

Rocket Sheep
June 4th, 2003, 05:47 AM
I let the characters dictate the style. Even third person is approached from a point of view and each point of view has a different style since each character has a different way of thinking and speaking.

Like you, I find first person virtually writes itself in places. Of course, characters aren't always so good at plotting and that is what I usually spend my time editing just the main bones of the story... that's all :rolleyes:

pcarney
June 4th, 2003, 06:59 AM
When the words are just tumbling out of me, I swear its like a natural high. I really feel that if I push it, my fiction come out stilted and odd.

Chlestron
June 5th, 2003, 02:55 PM
I can only seem to work in spurts... Either the story is threatening to spill out and I have to write it down or clean up the mess... or there's nothing.

Only later, when that spurt is done, do I take a real good long look at it. I find clunky places. I find horrendous grammar and obvious spelling errors. Though, considering the number of words, I don't find that many.

wolfie
June 6th, 2003, 09:28 AM
Hmmm....For me....it's like a story sits around and percs in my brain so that by the time it needs to come out on paper, the words are just there. Sure, when I go back to edit, I do find places that need a little helping out, but for the most part, when I let the writing come to me, tell me when it wants to hit paper, it's already there, already put together.

It's only when I try to write something that I'm not in the mood for, or that I try to force an idea or story to the surface that I find some really awful sentence structure, paragraph structure and all around story structure.

aftermath
June 6th, 2003, 11:39 AM
when i just let words tumble onto the page, they all just seem to fall into place. its like i go into a trance and it just put it on paper. i dont know how it happens, but i like it because i got alot of writing done in trances like that... it mostly happens when i write poems, not stories.

user123
June 14th, 2003, 04:33 AM
This may sound kind of crazy, but most of the time it seems like its the people in the story telling me what to write.:)

IaNo
June 20th, 2003, 04:53 AM
intersting. i used to feel the same as a lot of you, like the book is writing itself, the characters are speaking themselves, or I was in some sort of trance when I wrote it. Recently, however, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot write for my life (as you may have concluded as well based on my poor forum posts). This doesn't bother me however, therefore that is my style. My crappy stories write themselves crappily and I don't run the risk of anyone else writing crappy stories with the same crappy structure, style, and crapola grammar. hope that helps.

Quelogue
June 22nd, 2003, 01:58 AM
Thanks for that, IaNo. Now there's an honest writer.:)

What I tend to do is this... I work out the plot in my head, spending as long as I need to typing it out. I will add here, take out there, as I go. When it's finished, I edit it so that it reads like an essay, grammar and all! By then, I will already have some ideas for the more important scenes. I tend to work linearly, rather than work on the big scenes and then link them together. I use the plot as a kind of navigational aid to get me from one scene to the next, without losing focus. The scenes themselves, I generally play over and over in my head, as though I were post-editing a movie scene. I will then add in as much detail and dialogue as the overall length of my story will allow, while at the same time trying to keep the action flowing. (I don't give a detailed weather report with each scene-change, but if some detail, no matter how small, is sticking out in the scene in my head, I'll include it.)

Now sometimes, like Holbrook, the words flow, and sometimes I can take hours on one page, then go back and go back re-hashing it. I'm currently trying out a new strategy - write the damn thing, then go back and edit it. I'll let you know how it works out, just as soon as I can find enough spare time to sit at the keyboard.

Kirby
June 24th, 2003, 02:33 AM
I write in little fits and starts - usually it's about a scene involving one or two familiar characters (i.e. - characters that I have written with, before.)

On a good day it could end up being a couple or so thousand words long - other days it may be little more than a paragraph.
Sometimes I pick up where I left off, with much the same effect.

I am tempted by the idea of letting one of my characters do the writing for me!
(or rather, the telling - as he does not enjoy typing overly much!)

It's a process often interrupted by the Real World job that i have to attend to also.