PDA

View Full Version : New Comics from Marvel?!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Keyoke
June 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM
So, what has everyone thought of this explosion of new titles from Marvel Comics? I mean, in the last two months or so, they've released a whole slew of new titles, with more to come. I've read a few of em, so, here are a quick reviews of em.

Namor #1 - 40 cents, can't go wrong. Great art, story was good, but, I heard the artist (Salvador L) is leaving after 6 issues, and that was the biggest attraction to the title for me.

Mystique #1 - It's on #2 now, but, I like it. Though, I find the story a lil slow, and I've never liked how they changed Mystique's powers so she can shapeshift every part of her body, including moving her vital organs into her leg. But, so far, it's enjoyable.

New Mutants #1 - Alright, nice art, nice story. First issue didn't really break any new ground. I'll keep a eye on it.

Inhumans #1 - One of my favorites. I love the Inhumans! While the story was predictable, I still loved it. Art was good, and the guy who does the art is going to big. You can just tell.

Venom #1 - Good issue, reminded me of the movie "Thing", but, a series based on Venom? Think it'd work better as a limited title.

Twelve
June 9th, 2003, 11:04 AM
New? I think all of these titles were around before and being remade.

I just hope that Marvel doesn't make the mistake again of sending out a whole slew of new titles and letting them fade...

Remember that era where Deathlock, Sleepwalker, Darkhawk(I think that's his name), Force Works, and others came out?

Warewolf
June 9th, 2003, 02:56 PM
I think Mystique has a lot of potential to be a kick @$$ spy thriller if they approach it right. They have to make Mystique working for Xavier believable, though and, from what I've seen in the first couple of issues, Vaughan's on his way to successfully accomplishing that.

Venom is another title with a lot of potential. In this case, a horror comic. I enjoyed the first issue...it set the mood quite nicely. My only gripe is that the art seems a bit too cartoony for this book. I think they need something grittier to complement the mood. Someone like Mignola or John Paul Leon would do nicely, I think.

New Mutants has me excited. I loved the original series. I enjoyed the first issue. Well written characters and nice narration. Plus, I enjoyed the art. Looking forward to seeing where this series goes.

Keyoke
June 9th, 2003, 09:16 PM
I know that some of these new relaunches were old titles (Re: New Mutants).

Funny, I always find that when Marvel starts a brand new title, that they only seems to go to about issue #75-80 or so before dying. I mean, that's a good run, but, they never seem to last longer.

Examples are New Warriors, Guardians of the Galaxy, Thunderbolts, etc.

Keyoke

Twelve
June 10th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Keyoke

Funny, I always find that when Marvel starts a brand new title, that they only seems to go to about issue #75-80 or so before dying. I mean, that's a good run, but, they never seem to last longer.

Sadly, the ones I like tend to die much quicker than that. I loved Force Works and Sleepwalker. They combined for about 35 issues.

Blackwing
June 13th, 2003, 08:47 AM
If only I had money, I'd try out most of them. As things are, I've only read Namor and I like it. It's certainly different from other Marvel's comics and it gives the reader a better chance to understand Namor. I definately like the glimpse in to the Atlantean way of life.

Then again, he's always been one of my favourite Avengers, so I'm biased.

Twelve
June 16th, 2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Blackwing
If only I had money, I'd try out most of them. As things are, I've only read Namor and I like it. It's certainly different from other Marvel's comics and it gives the reader a better chance to understand Namor. I definately like the glimpse in to the Atlantean way of life.

Then again, he's always been one of my favourite Avengers, so I'm biased.

Hehe, Namor. Are they still trying to sell him has "Marvel's first Mutant?"

dwightfantasy
December 3rd, 2003, 11:44 AM
I like the Weapon X book. Now with Mr. Sinister...very nice.

Otherwise I love the Ultimates and Ultimate Six.

Dwight

Gambit12
December 17th, 2003, 02:14 PM
i love looking at the marvel comic in the book store at the mall sometimes i buy some if i like the comic.

mindy

Blackwing
January 22nd, 2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Twelve

Hehe, Namor. Are they still trying to sell him has "Marvel's first Mutant?"

I realized that I haven't answered that, sorry.

No. There is no mention of the mutant thing at all.