View Full Version : Will you ever stop reading Fantasy

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Evil Agent
June 8th, 2003, 04:28 PM
I'm wondering. Are any of you getting older? I started Fantasy when I was 16, and now I'm 24. I still love it, and read a lot, but have laid off the more juvenile stuff (if you can consider Eddings, Goodkind, Brooks, juvenile).

What do you all think?

As much as I love Fantasy, there are some NON-Fantasy books I'd love to read, and who knows when I will get around to them!

I think I will keep reading Fantasy as long as there are good authors out there, and as long as they can keep my interest.

Also, I will always keep re-reading The Lord of The Rings, every few years.

What do you all say!?!?

Bear
June 8th, 2003, 04:41 PM
I don't read fantasy exclusively. In fact, I read more mystery and hard-boiled novels, and a good deal of non-fiction too. Part of this is because not enough fantasy holds my interest (the formulaic swords and scorceries haven't grabbed me over the past few years). As I've said before, if a book is predictable, I'd better love the characters or else I won't stick it out. And sadly, a lot of fantasy (the high kind, at least) is pretty predictable. There are exceptions, of course, but that's always the case.

I find myself reading a good amount of fantasy again, though, because as the genre grows, we're getting more and more pioneers. Urban fantasy is growing in popularity, and a lot of authors that reside on the outskirts of the mainstream really have some truly original ideas and aren't afraid to try something a little different. Sometimes it just takes a little digging and research to find the good stuff.

Bear
June 8th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Oh. And as far as I know, I am getting older, but there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about that. :)

Nero
June 8th, 2003, 04:45 PM
I'm only 14, so I still have a ways to go before I quit reading fantasy. I do think I'll only read authors who are above average writers, though, since I don't want to waste my time with repetitive, cliched books.

milamber_reborn
June 9th, 2003, 12:23 AM
I'm not too well-read and I'm a slow reader so I'm sure I'll be reading till I die at an old age. Plus, what else would read that even compares to fatnasy?

min
June 9th, 2003, 12:41 AM
I've been reading fantasy since I was 12, which is nearly 20yrs, if I've been reading them for that long it doesn't seem I'm about to quit now.Though I still like the odd horror or mystery book thrown into the mix.But a good fantasy book to me is like chocolate, I just can't get enough of it;)

James Barclay
June 9th, 2003, 05:17 AM
Can't imagine why I should ever stop reading fantasy but this isn't a poll about exclusivity is it? I read a wide variety of genres and fantasy is a part of that mix, a part that I value and love.

ezchaos
June 9th, 2003, 08:27 AM
Good epic fantasy will always be my first love and I'll always read it. But, sometimes it seems like there isn't much new material left -like I've run the well dry. At times I find myself stuck in limbo, waiting for the next book in a series to come out. Thankfully, authors like China Mieville come along and renew my faith. However, there have been periods of time recently where I have read non-genre books exclusively for a few months at a shot because I got sick of fantasy. About three years ago, I went for a year with only reading scifi and military history (gasp!);) . It's probably a good thing to take breaks so that way you won't get tired of the genre and will continue to read it.

aftermath
June 9th, 2003, 10:23 AM
God, i hope fantasy goes forever, that new authors will keep arriving on the scene. i started reading fantasy two years ago, and it was the worst thing i ever did! so far i have read probalby anywhere from 50-80 fantasy novels, including wheel of time, animorphs, sword of truth, etc etc. but i would like to find some of the cyberpunk sci-fi thats out there like Gibson. the only sci-fi books i ever really liked was DUNE! and Neuromancer.

Beldaran
June 9th, 2003, 12:18 PM
I say "NEVER" but never is a long time... I have only read Fantasy about 2 years, i have read books written by: tolkien, brooks, hobb, martin, jordan, feist/wurtz, eddings, kerr, T.Williams, gemmel, salvatore, weiss/hickman......... and I just want to read more!(maybe forgot someone?)

One of my favourite is the Empire series by feist/wurtz.
I like all-kind of Fantasy not just epic-fantasy....
i haven't read sci-fi, yet