PDA

View Full Version : Is this thing on?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Thedeliveryboy
June 11th, 2003, 04:43 PM
I've created a super hero. Set in a distant future many years after a great war between man and machine. The world is controled by a system much like the matrix.(I just want it to be known that I'm 24 now and I started writing this when I was 17.
So this is not a matrix spin off.) In fact I have been keeping my self away from it so it dosen't influience me. Genetic alterations, neural implants, and the birth of cybernetics only begin to explain this future society. It's a story about becoming what hate and having to except it. For many of us that is a fate worse than hell.

wastra
June 12th, 2003, 02:25 PM
okay.

kahnovitch
June 13th, 2003, 06:30 AM
And?

Have you submitted it for some feedback to SFFW? (if so a link would be good)
Or are you just announcing your latest work in progress to the world? (if so I wouldn't worry too much about the Matrix similarities as IMO they botched the second movie anyway)

KatG
June 13th, 2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by kahnovitch
And?

Have you submitted it for some feedback to SFFW? (if so a link would be good)
Or are you just announcing your latest work in progress to the world? (if so I wouldn't worry too much about the Matrix similarities as IMO they botched the second movie anyway)
You know, I haven't seen Matrix #2 yet, but that seems to be the consensus. Yet, the philosophical complaints -- the first one was full of philosophical yammering, and the special effects in the second movie are suppose to be even more spectacular.

But I wouldn't worry too much about similarities either. The Matrix writers borrowed heavily from years of sf and comic books, so they hardly own the idea.

kahnovitch
June 13th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Too right KatG.

Star Wars had the same kind of prophetic mysticism (with the whole "Force" and "Jedi" thing) of the "Chosen One" that saves the world/galaxy etc. It's an age old story going back to (and no doubt beyond) Jesus Christ.

There's probably an equivalent story in every religion.
Hence it obviously works and would be a "saleable" story as the world is always crying out for a saviour and never tires of wanting to be saved.

user123
June 14th, 2003, 05:27 AM
I'd say run with the story and don't let any worry about people saying the idea is like the matrix. No matter what they say it really will not be the same because it will have YOUR ideas and beliefs behind it. No two artist ever come up with the same work, there is always something new.

IaNo
June 20th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Wierd. That reminds me; I was writing a book right around the time when the first Matrix came out. My book was pretty similar in a lot of aspects. I had the whole humans as batteries thing with the tubes in the backs of their heads and I had a young buddhist kid as one of the main characters in my book who always carried a silver spoon around in his mouth and did the bending of the spoon thing almost exactly how it was in the movie. A few of my friends had read that work in progress when we went to see The Matrix on opening night and we just drove back in silence. Eventually they mentioned the similarities. Some of them thought I had somehow copied from the movie before it came out and others thought that somehow the person who wrote the Matrix had intercepted my emails and stolen my ideas. Fortunately, or unfortunately, neither was true. They are just common ideas. It was my first book. My writing has progressed far past the Matrix by now, although I was fond of the whole Alice in Wonderland thing. I haven't seen Reloaded yet either; I heard it was quite a disappointment. Write your book, just don't purposely copy and you'll be fine.

Quelogue
June 22nd, 2003, 01:01 AM
I must be having a rare moment of lucidity or something. Maybe I should be working on my own stories instead of posting, but what the heck...

I think plagiarism is a monster we all fear, at least those of us that actually want to be known for our originality. I go through these thought processes whenever I come up with a plot, or a title, for a new work. There is so much material out there, either in movies, books or art, that as time passes it becomes more and more difficult to produce something new or fresh. Even if it is an original work, someone somewhere is going to look at it and say "Oh, that's just like in The Matrix (Star Wars or whatever), where the hero does so and so..." Hands up all those who have seen every SF movie and read every SF novel. The point I'm trying to make here is that one could write something that he or she thinks hasn't been done before, only to later discover that it was already covered way back in some cult sci-fi movie back in the seventies. You can't then say "Oh well I never watched that movie", because no one will believe you.

It's easy to say "Don't worry about it", but the truth is, if you want your readers to know that you have produced an original, you have to make damn sure that very little of it is in some other book or movie.

Now watch me get tripped up by my own philosophy when I get my own 'original' works published.

You guys have touched on a very important point here, too important to be glossed over.

KatG
June 24th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Plaigerism is far down on the list of worries in publishing, and if you're trying to write an original story, you will have an uphill battle, I fear. Which is why writers frequently write on exactly the same topics and issues -- nanotechnology, space elevators, the exploration of Venus, schools for wizards. What differentiates stories is your own particular take on whatever story you are writing -- your characters, your writing style and the suspense you generate within the story world you've created.