PDA

View Full Version : cyberpunk superhero (ya that's right)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Thedeliveryboy
June 11th, 2003, 04:04 PM
A world so crazy it can only be discribed in one word "nightcity". When the project is but into production I'll have to change the name, but for my fellow die hards we'll call it night city. 2396 ad the world is very different from the world we know. A system rules over the people, a system not controled by machines but by man. Two worlds exsist, the real world and the system. Humanity is divided; on one side you have the pure and on the other the enhanced. Neither will be controled by the other and only he can set them free. The delivery boy is about becomeing what you hate and having to except it.

I love to talk about this story more than sex. (And I'm a scorpio.)
Please if you have ideas or questions I'm all over it.

Ouroboros
June 11th, 2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Thedeliveryboy
[B]A world so crazy it can only be discribed in one word "nightcity".

Or what about : "crazyworld" ?

:D

choppy
June 11th, 2003, 06:20 PM
First of all I haven't seen your posts before, so welcome to the board.

It seems like you have a lot of ideas that you're incorporating into this world (and this post). This forum is a great place to bounce ideas back and fourth, get motivated, and do a little research (or at least get some people to point you in the right direction.)

I don't think your questions require a poll, really. I think they'd be better recieved if posed for discussion. Here's some answers off the top of my head.

1. Can superheros be (too) manly?
This depends on how the audience defines manliness. In my opinion, superheros these days aren't manly enough. Too much of anything, however can be problematic. If you think you're going over the top - either cut it down a few notches and go for realism, or turn it up even more and go for satire.

2. Why don't superheros evolve?
I'm not sure I know what you're getting at here. If you're talking about the evolution of a character, look at Superman or the X-men. They've changed quite dramatically over the years. If you're talking more about actual speculative biology, you have to consider the source of the superpowers in the first place.

If you're asking why we don't have superheros right now due to genetic mutations, its because most minor mutations have absolutely no effect, and the more complex the organism, the more difficult it becomes for random mutations to manifest into - well - anything. When mutations do occur, and they have a quantifiyable effect, that effect is most often negative - inhibiting the body from doing what it's supposed to, rather than enhancing it.

3. Can you love a killer?
There's lots of people who do. I'm pretty much pro capital punishment, though.

4. Anyone know about the 4th-d?
What do you want to know? Typically time is considered the "fourth" dimension. There are a number of postulated extra dimensions out there - some say there are eleven, others twenty-one. It all depends on who you talk to. These dimensions are curled in on themselves and really only accessible by high energy subatomic particles.

These are different from the "many worlds" interpretation of quantum mechanics, if that's really what you want to know about.

5. Will people swallow a smiple timetravel idea?
Maybe. Look at Back to the Future. Hang on while I get out my flux capacitor.

Cheers.

Ouroboros
June 12th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by choppy
3. Can you love a killer?
There's lots of people who do. I'm pretty much pro capital punishment, though.

Heh, it's funny how people can read the same question and get totally different impressions. My first thought on that question was: "sure, after all- soldiers get married and have famillies too." Society rewards as many stone cold killers as it puts behind bars.

Bardos
June 13th, 2003, 02:27 AM
"Kill one man, and they call you a murderer; kill a hundred, and they call you a hero."

Disgusting, really...

kahnovitch
June 13th, 2003, 05:41 AM
Not sure why you posted questions as a poll, but nevermind.

Too manly? Nothing wrong with manly, I like manly. The world would be a duller place without the Clint Eastwoods, John Waynes, Russell Crowes etc.

Evolution of superheroes? Some of them do evolve, some remain the same. Depends on the age group of the heroes audience I suppose. Adults usually want realistic characters, kids heroes are more two dimensional.

4th Dimension. Are we stepping into the realms of quantum theory here? The idea of parallel/alternative dimensions or timelines etc. It's a rather vague phrase "4th dimension"

As for killers, people love them alright, and not just the socially justified ones like soldiers. How many times have we seen and heard of people marrying serial killers who are still locked up?
Assassins are prolific killers, but still a very popular characters in literature, films, and game media, so an emphatic "yes" to that question .

People will definitely swallow timetravel stories. We've had a large diet of them over the years and they always pose interesting paradoxes.

P.S welcome to the forum.

LeMort
June 28th, 2003, 09:29 AM
A cyberpunk superhero, eh?

Have you, by any chance, seen the Matrix? Your setting sounds very similar to me, with the obvious exception being that the "system" is controlled by a human faction rather than machines. I'm not saying that your idea is bad (after all, millions of cinema-goers can't be wrong! Can they?) but I'd be interested to know more about the setting and plot - particularly pertaining to anything that makes your idea original.

As to your poll, my opinions mirror those of Choppy, except for his views on capital punishment.

I would advise you to think very carefully about your time travel idea. It's been pretty much done to death in both books and films. While simple time travel plot devices are often accepted by people who watch Sci-Fi, readers of Science Fiction are a far more critical crowd. So, as I said, think very carefully about your idea and how you implement it.

Chlestron
June 28th, 2003, 09:55 PM
"Kill one man, and they call you a murderer; kill a hundred, and they call you a hero."

Kill a thousand, they call you a monster
kill a hundred-thousand, they call you a god.

Anyways, I think you should run with your story idea. People will always compare it to what's seen in the Movies and what they've read, but don't let that stop you. It's very difficult to dream up a completely unique plot these days, but there are literally limitless ways an 'old' plot can be spun out.

Besides, most of what makes a story is the characters - though the plot helps

Shanoncia
June 28th, 2003, 10:53 PM
Erm does anyone here actually now what the cyberpunk movement really was and is???

Rocket Sheep
June 30th, 2003, 05:21 AM
The word 'cyberpunk' first appeared as the title of a short story "Cyberpunk" by Bruce Bethke, published in "AMAZING" science fiction stories magazine volume 57, number 4, in November 1983. The word was coined in the early spring of 1980, and applied to the "bizarre, hard-edged, high-tech" SF emerging in the eighties. The story itself is about a bunch of teenage hackers/crackers.

Or so I read somewhere... I know for a fact that this style of writing was going on in Poland and Russia long before the term was coined in English.

Is there another story... one that doesn't involve safety pins in noses?