PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the Clones: HBO this weekend.

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

NeonKnight
June 13th, 2003, 11:15 AM
It rained all Memorial Day weekend so I pulled out my DVD and watched it again with Lucas and producers commenting.

Terrific watching these excellent special effects, with commentary on how they did it.

I love all the tremendous sets they created, especially for the capital/city planet. The chase scene in the beginning is classic and we are alerted to an X-Wing being chased by "Darth Vader type craft". (forget the name of those ships right now) I slowed the playback down and found it.

Just so cool.:D

Of course the horrible acting does not help this flick, but still the amazing FX, from the Ocean planet, to the spectacular Gladiator- like arena and 3 monsters attacking our heros, to the awesome Clone-War battle scene and the spectacular light saber battle between Yoda and Dooku more than make up for that! Even the scenes inside the robot mfg. facility are terrific.

I'm a Lightwave 3D artist myself, so I have tremendous respect for the creators of this material.

I'll be watching again, this weekend and hoping for a spectacular finish when the next one arrives. (next year, hopefully?)

Bear
June 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM
I really wish I could share your enthusiasm (I hold the original the original trilogy in high-regard, if for nothing more than nostalgia), but although AotC was pretty, it was so lacking in every other area that I can't help but fart in it's general direction.

Evil Agent
June 13th, 2003, 05:45 PM
I found that with BOTH prequels, I LOVED them in the theatre, but then they seriously paled in comparison to The Lord of the Rings. Watching them now on DVD seems okay, and the effects are still great, but the bad acting and dialogue sticks out WAY more than before.

HOWEVER, I DID just watch Attack of the Clones as well, just this week, and it seemed better than it has since I bought the DVD half a year ago. I especially loved the Clone War at the end. All the ships are amazing. My favorite shot is of the Clone soldiers marching in the dust and sand, barely able to see anything in front of them, and firing their rifles like crazy.

I also love Yoda, and Dooku. Christopher Lee is so great (but not as great as when he plays Saruman in the Lord of the Rings! Just watched that again today. Beautiful!!!)

All in all, I have very mixed feelings about the new Star Wars series. When Phantom Menace came out it was like nothing I've ever seen. Now, I've seen better, and it comes across as way to bright and fake. Like a cartoon. Also, the acting and script problems are quite large, no question about that. I still love the StarWars universe, however, and especially the evil characters. I think Attack of the Clones needed more Sith. More Sidious. More Tyrannus. Hopefully the third movie will be the best yet.

flintorama
June 14th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Yah that bad actings pretty rough! It's unfortunate because acting really does make a movie. Acting and sound anyways! No one ever notices sound, but if it was bad you would notice! I especially hate all the childish silly people that are in his films!

It's weird too, because George will pick someone like Liam Neeson, who is wonderful, and then pick little Annakin, who is so not cool! The epitome of "bratty North American punk". He gets everything he wants for Christmas every year, but balls like a baby when they force that oversized popcorn bowl onto his head for his haircut!

Someone should figure out how to Clone , the actor who plays Annikan, and then figure out a way we can turn those Clones into food for animals!

Ouroboros
June 14th, 2003, 04:07 AM
Attack of the Clones underwhelmed me, but I did like Natalie Portman's white catsuit. That one is strong in the force.

NeonKnight
June 14th, 2003, 09:29 AM
It's weird too, because George will pick someone like Liam Neeson, who is wonderful, and then pick little Annakin, who is so not cool!

Bad as little Anakin's acting was, his acting was in the Alec Guiness category compared to the elder Anakin in AOTC. That guy makes Pauly Shore an Oscar winner.:p

Of course he has Darth Maul kill off his best actor (Liam) in Phantom Menace. For a very smart man, sometimes Lucas light sabers his own throat.

I found that with BOTH prequels, I LOVED them in the theatre, but then they seriously paled in comparison to The Lord of the Rings.

elendil, as you of all people should know, EVERYTHING pales in comparison to LOTR! :D Don't forget, George was very influenced by Tolkien, especially in the first 3.(or would those be the second 3.;) )

I'm right with you on the Clone wars scene. George has some very interesting comments on the creation of this scene, apparently this battle was in his mind's eye even as he created the first movie!

I too was thinking of Saruman as I watched Dooku! Christopher Lee plays a wonderful villain, THOSE are always the best parts for any actor to win.

Have you watched AOTC with the director's commentary on yet?

Who is Tyrannus?:confused:

but I did like Natalie Portman's white catsuit. That one is strong in the force.

If only we could get Natalie into that golden bikini Carrie Fisher wore as a captive in ROTJ. That would cause an extreme disturbance in the force.

Evil Agent
June 14th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Tyrannus is Darth Tyrannus, the sith name for Count Dooku. He is only called that once, at the very end, by Sidious/The Emperor.

No, I haven't actually watched it with the commentary. I'm assuming that it's good?

I don't often watch the commentaries, I don't find I have time. I DID watch the commentary for Lord of the Rings though, and it was pretty cool. I watched two commentaries actually (The director/screenwriter and the actors).

I probably should give StarWarsII's commentary a whirl, now that I think of it.

Shehzad
June 14th, 2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Bear
fart in it's general direction.

Thank goodness I'm upwind of you.

Bear
June 14th, 2003, 01:45 PM
:)