PDA

View Full Version : LOTR DVD's - Which do you buy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Evil Agent
June 13th, 2003, 07:13 PM
So we all know about that pesky marketing strategy that they use for the Lord of the Rings DVD's. 8 months before a theatrical DVD is released (that's already longer than it takes most movies to come out), and then 3 more months for the extended.

Do you buy both? Just one? I know that I need the extended, being as big a fan of the book as I am, but do I want both? What about when friends come over, and they're not quite interested in the nearly 4 hour versions...?

I have both versions of the first, but I'm not sure what to do with the Two Towers. Let's hear your opinions!

Bear
June 13th, 2003, 08:23 PM
I always get the initial release, then I pick up the special addition when it becomes available. I'm too impatient to just wait.

bcunderdog
June 13th, 2003, 09:59 PM
I bought both, of course. I am like Bear, I have no patience. Much better portrayal of Galadriel in the extended version. Are they having two DVDs for the Two Towers?

Evil Agent
June 13th, 2003, 10:53 PM
But of course!

This time, instead of an extra 28 minutes, there will be an extra 44 minutes! Pushing 4 hours there.

BTW, I agree about Galadriel.

fluffy bunny
June 13th, 2003, 10:55 PM
1st one- just have the theatrical release- seen the extended version, but prefer the theatrical.

TT- wasn't happy with the pacing of the theatrical, so will skip that. Will probably go and have a ganger at the extended before purchace

Bear
June 13th, 2003, 11:45 PM
1st one- just have the theatrical release- seen the extended version, but prefer the theatrical.

Other than the Introduction to Hobbits in the beginning of the film, which I liked better when it was omitted, I thought the special edition was a vast improvement. The pacing, both in the soundtrack and overall, was more balanced and the side characters had a bit more flesh to them. But each to their own, I guess.

I'm really looking forward to the special edition of Two Towers though. The way I see it, I like these movies enough, the more minutes the better.

Cadfael
June 14th, 2003, 12:31 AM
Both!!!

But I will only loan out the Theatrical version! :D

Hey... I am spreading the word!

Loras Tyrell
June 14th, 2003, 07:08 AM
I'm not THAT big a fan of Peter Jackson to buy two of everything he sells.

The movies are good in some aspects, horrible in others.

What was that at the end of TT?? Everyone started going to all the wrong places, Aragorn fainted and started drifting off down some river, man I was pissed. And why, WHY, did they have to make Gimli into a clown? That sucked.

I'll buy the extended versions. The more, the better. I mean, we're not filming a pamflet here, we're filming LOTR. I was furious that they'd left out Tom Bombadil from the first, I would gladly sit through 1-2 more hours to see him. Now, they just suddenly have theirs swords. Ridiculous.

And what's with Bill?
You NEVER see him until they're at the gates of Moria. Yeah, bye pony which we've never seen up til this point.

But I digress.

Point is, I won't spend my money on one product when another product that I know I'll like better will come soon.

Greetings
Artaxiad

Evil Agent
June 14th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Good points Loras, but after MUCH debate, I have decided that MOST of the changes are alright. They make sense in terms of translating the story to a MOVIE.

I.E. Bombadil would have been way to weird for most people, and would have thrown the pacing off for the entire movie. But I love him too.

As for Bill, I think you might have missed him. He's definitely in a few shots, especialy in the Extended Edition, well before Moria. Check it out. In fact, I'm going to check it out too, just to be sure.

Aragorn falling in the river was pretty dumb, I admit. Pointless, and not suspensful, because you know he's going to live.

Niphredil
June 14th, 2003, 01:18 PM
I get the extended, and while I'm waiting for it to come out I rent the theatrical. :D