SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Bear
June 14th, 2003, 02:03 AM
Anyone here like Sketch Comedy? I certainly do. My top three shows are:

1. Mr. Show--Though the first two seasons leave a little to be desired (not to say that they don't have their moments--the "pit pat" skit was absolutely hilarious), seasons three and beyond are what make Mr. Show my favorite in this style of comedy. (season three comes out on DVD in august, which is excellent).

2. Kids in the Hall--the kings of absolutely bizarre yet hilarious skits. I shot milk out of my nose when I saw their German perfume commercial (the one with the lizards and the flames and the swastika pinwheel that spun around and shot sparks). Obscurity at it's finest.

3. And number three on my list is a relatively unknown series that aired on MTV in the mid-90's called "The State." These guys came up with some great skits. The inbred brothers were always a treat, and the game show where the contestants were duped-- because instead of winning money and prizes, they win lots of orphans--was another gem. In fact, this show was crammed with them.

Saturday Night Live has had it's moments over the years, but it's so drastically inconsistent that I can't rate it too high.

But does anyone else like this kind of stuff? Or am I on my own on this one.

Oorag
June 14th, 2003, 06:14 AM
Wow, good choices Bear, my top three has the same selections, but I actually rate The State higher than KITH, to my own surprise. Too bad the show never got the recognition it deserved.

KITH was a great group, however, and their movie Brain Candy is one of my favorite comedies. The "just a guy" guy had my friends and me laughing nonstop for minutes.

Mr Show, however, is truly the king of all sketch shows. "Any cock'll do" will remain in my lexicon until I die. If you're a fan of Mr Show and are on Kazaa, you should try to download "Run Ronnie Run" the unreleased Mr Show movie. Its good, not wonderful, and recycles some jokes from the show, but its a must-see for Mr Show fans.

Bear
June 14th, 2003, 08:17 PM
Aha! A fellow sketch comedy fan, and one with taste to boot.

Yes, Oorag, I have seen Run Ronnie Run, and though it was good, I thought it would have been a little funnier. No worries though. Their Show is so funny that it makes up for any of the movies short comings.

Favorite Ronnie Dobbs line: "You're sh!ttin' in my mouth and callin' it a Sunday."

And I see your familiar with the Cockring commercial. Man, Bob and David are geniuses.

And I always claim Mr. Show as the favorite, but I always have trouble deciding between Kids and the State. My only complaint with the State is that there isn't enough of it. But what they did make was friggin' excellent. Did you ever see the Men's Bikini Roller Thong Club skit? Some very funny stuff.

And yes, The State doesn't get any recognition, which is a shame.

Evil Agent
June 14th, 2003, 11:33 PM
I LOVE the Kids in the Hall.

I've seen them live twice over the last two years, both times I was (cough) in a very different state of mind, and they were genius. I love the show, and I also love Brain Candy.

Last year they were signing autographs at my local record store, and I got a picture of myself in between Kevin McDonald and Scott Thompson, and we're doing the Simon&Hecubus "evil salute". It's sweet! If I can find a scanner I could upload a copy.

Just last week I actually saw Mark McKinney here, in Vancouver, doing a live one-man play that is BRILLIANT. It's called Fully Committed, and he plays "Sam", a guy who takes calls in a VERY fancy New York Restaurant, to take reservations. Over the course of 80 minutes, Mark plays "Sam", as well as every single different customer calling in, as well as all his co-workers (Chef, Hostess, Maitre 'D, etc.). It was really good.

Unfortunately, I've still never seen Mr. Show. I considered buying the DVD once, but figured that since I had never seen it I wouldn't take the risk. It's that good, hey? I heard that Tool (one of my favorite bands) is in one skit on the show.

Bear
June 15th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Definitely check out the Mr. Show dvds, Elindil. You might want to wait for season three, which comes out in august, because that's when they really hit their stride, but the first two seasons definitely have some great skits, too. Just not as many.

That one man play sounds impressive though.

nobody
June 16th, 2003, 01:06 AM
I love Sketch Comedy, but haven't heard of any of these, I guess they haven't made it over to New Zealand yet and I doubt (and hope) that any of ours makes out of the country. My favourate is the classic Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Bear
June 16th, 2003, 03:58 AM
I'm a big Monty Python fan, too, nobody. I don't see how I could have omitted that. Must not have been feeling well.

nobody
June 16th, 2003, 08:23 PM
(: Thanks for the information about other good Sketch shows, I've downloaded a Mr Snow over Kazaa I'll have long for the others later, I wish they were on normal TV here.

flintorama
June 17th, 2003, 02:33 AM
All KITH. The Pen Sketch is easily one of the best ever of any sketch comedy whatsoever. The first season wasn't that great(just like everything including the Simpsons) but after that, it just became pure genious.

The skit where robbers enter a bank, and proceed to hold everyone up! Instead of taking money they simply force them all to take off one of their shoes and start passing it around, until everyone is confused as to where their shoes are, and then they simply run off!

Also, sausages anyone? One of Bruces absolutely bizarre skits. Terry Gilliam if he had been a foriegn Czech filmaker 50 years ago!

flintorama
June 17th, 2003, 02:34 AM
Monty Python just too old nowadays. I used to have evry one memorized! Still love Mr. Hilter. And who could forget the fish slapping dance!