PDA

View Full Version : Edge of your seat stuff?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

fluffy bunny
June 15th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Are there any scenes in particular that had you unable to tear your eyes from the screen?

Just finished rewatching unforgiven, and the scene where death comes to town at the end qualifies methinks.

More will come to me, but just thought I'd hold the door open to other suggestions

Evil Agent
June 15th, 2003, 01:30 PM
For me it's GOTTA be the Lord of the Rings films. Every moment of them is edge-of-your-seat for me.

Just watched the battle of Helm's Deep a couple days ago. That whole last hour is great.

milamber_reborn
June 15th, 2003, 11:07 PM
The first time I watched Final Destination there were a few cool edge of the seat moments.

kegasaurus
June 15th, 2003, 11:51 PM
Michael Madsen in Reservoir dogs, as he is torturing the cop.

Bear
June 16th, 2003, 02:59 AM
Michael Madsen in Reservoir dogs, as he is torturing the cop.

I can't watch that scene without holding my ear.

DarthV
June 16th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Wow... I can probably think of a million of them...but here's a couple that some people might not think of:

Ronin - the car chases... awesome action!

Heat - the gun battle outside of the bank.

kegasaurus
June 17th, 2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Bear

I can't watch that scene without holding my ear.

Just as long as its still attached to your head.

flintorama
June 17th, 2003, 01:26 AM
Love the scene in 2001 A Space Oddysey when the Monolith first appears, and changes the course of humanity by offering just a hint of curiosity to some apes!

Love the first "run across the bridge" scene in Run Lola Run. Fast cuts, perfectly timed to pounding techno, going from tracking shot 24fps, to slow-mo close-up, and back again on the beat! Perfect example of filmic editing being motivated by rhythym. Unfortunately something American filmakers just aren't into yet.

The scene in Amelie where she enters the train station! A perfect tribute to the romance and sadness associated with WW2 Nazi occupied Paris. The Edith Piaf song does it all!

Gymnasium scene in American Beauty.

Any scene from Baraka.

Opening 15 mins. of Apocalypse Now. Storraro you are a genius!

P.S. I also love the last scene in Unforgiven. Not only because it directly relates to Gene Hackmans jail speech about gunfighters, but because of those oh so perfect reversible push-ins(ah-la David Lynch).

kahnovitch
June 17th, 2003, 05:01 PM
A lot of the creature special effects in "The Thing" were good, but a real "edge of the seat moment" had to be the scene when Kurt Russell had everyone tied together whilst he performed a blood test with a hot wire and petree dishes.

flintorama
June 18th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Oh I am sorry! I didn't realize it was only action or suspense stuff! Oh well. I guess I really enjoyed some action scenes in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and Gladiator. Action isn't really my thing unless there is a good story behind it.