PDA

View Full Version : No base = no writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

pcarney
June 15th, 2003, 11:09 PM
I just realized something (after many years of writing). It seems I can only write if I have some stability in my life. For example, I recently became one of the 'employment challenged' that seem to be all over the US nowadays (my company was bought by a bigger company). And since then, I can't write at all! It just won't flow. Then, thinking back, I realized during the two years of my first, craptacular failure of a marriage, I barely wrote as well.

Frankly, this doesn't bug me (as I'm too worried about getting another job), but I was wondering if anyone else found this to be true. In this most recent example, although I'm a bit down, I'm not all that depressed, and I still want to do all the other things that are important to me, but the need and ability to write fiction seems to have slipped away!

kahnovitch
June 16th, 2003, 03:32 AM
The funny thing about this, is the opposite happened to me when I was about 25. I had just split (not too amicably) from a long time GF and quit the job I had at the time.
About a week later I began writing for the first time since I'd been in school.
I found burying myself in my own world of make-belief was just what I needed to take my mind off all my woes.

I starting writing quite prolifically for about 2 years, starting multiple stories, mostly sci-fi, and one short fantasy story. After writing the first 250 pages of a huge space-opera style piece, I switched to another story idea that took me over a year to finish the first draft of a novel length piece.

Writing was all I did and I focused on nothing else, staying single (and unemployed) for over 3 years.
I think what drove me at the time was to desire to have some success of my life, particularly in a new avenue I hadn't tried before as I was losing faith in job and relationship security.
However I did eventually get into a new relationship and the need for money soon drove me back to work, and the writing has been very much in the background since, unfortunately.

Lucky Joe
June 16th, 2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Kahnovitch
Writing was all I did and I focused on nothing else, staying single (and unemployed) for over 3 years.

That sounds awesome.:D

...I wonder if my landlord would mind not getting the rent, or the phone company, or the power company, or, nah forget it...

I, Brian
June 17th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Stress affects people in different ways. It also depends on life commitments. When you're single you free time to deal with. When you have a family you are still very distracted.

choppy
June 17th, 2003, 10:43 PM
Stability is the key to just about any project for me.

One of the problems I've had is that my schedule changes quite quickly - I'll have about two or three stable weeks - then I won't be able to work on a project for several days. By the time I get back to it, I've forgotten where I was going, or I've lost interest.
It's funny how that works.

Se'dray-on
June 21st, 2003, 01:12 AM
I seem to go through spurts of inspiration, and then nothing. And it seemingly has nothing to do with the way my life is going at the time. I can detect no pattern. I'm probably weird that way. Oh well:rolleyes: ;) . hahaha

Lates

kyria
June 21st, 2003, 09:50 AM
Not stable = no writing.

True enough for me. I even find it hard to read the usual fat fantasy. I'm just too worried and stressed out about 'wasting time' that should be spent doing something productive, meaning, income-generating.

My work life has been pretty unstable, so I haven't written anything since graduating - not work-related, anyway. Don't make me count the years, but that was a long time ago... Writing is something I'd always thought I'd do someday, but I haven't done anything serious about it yet. Started a few chapters of a few books back in college, but that's about it.