PDA

View Full Version : Need Help and Search Friend

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

kirora
June 25th, 2003, 07:06 PM
I'm a foreign SF fans.What I mean is my first language isn't English.These days I'm reading John Clut&Peter Nicholls's "the encyclopaedia of science fiction".I found myself difficulty reading some of it and wanna get help from some friends.If you'are interested in this,please contact me.Thank you.Maybe this isn't a cute job.So it's all your choice.

Here I have two questions.If you know and wanna get into it,write to me.

One is in "Bibliographies",it reads:
Moving from comprehensive bibliographies whose remit is to encompass the field rather than to evaluate it, we come to research aids which are designed to provide a critical commentary.

What is this mean?I just cannot get information of what "remit" and "encompass" represent.

And there is another.
In "INVISIBILITY",it says:
the three-decker novel The Invisible Gentleman (1833) by James Dalton is the most extravagant example.

Here,does three-decker novel means books of 3-volume?Or other?

Thank you for all.My e-mail is kirora@citiz.net(maybe someone of you cannot reach me because of problem of servers).If you don't like this,just ignore it.

Hobbit
June 25th, 2003, 07:37 PM
Hello kirora!

Taking on 'The Big Book of Clute' in another language is a very brave thing to do! Best of luck!

Remit - Usually means to reduce or abandon but here it seems to mean 'to refer to, a guideline, purpose' - therefore 'the point / reason for' the bibliography'.

encompass - to surround, include fully, therefore 'to cover the wide range of books' (in a descriptive way, rather than evaluate it).

For 'three-decker' - read 'three part', either within the same novel or as a trilogy.

Hope this helps!

Hobbit

kirora
June 26th, 2003, 01:40 AM
it is really helps!thank you

Hobbit
June 26th, 2003, 09:56 AM
Pleasure! :D

Hobbit