PDA

View Full Version : Alphabet problem

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

saule pazare
July 1st, 2003, 09:54 AM
I`ve created alphabet for story that i`m writhing, but I can`t use it on my computer. What shold I do ?

juzzza
July 1st, 2003, 10:42 AM
Write it phonetically... Or Fanetikly :D

Chlestron
July 1st, 2003, 06:24 PM
This is a languages question so you have to ask yourself some questions.

If it sounds just like your language, but with a different symbol set then in a dialogue sense you don't need it. As well, actual snippets of in-story related texts - like the actual copy of a magaznie story - are relatively uncommon. Most of the time, such things are handled via somebody reading the thing which is pretty much dialogue.

Letters or other written correspondance are usually in a handwriting style font which I imagine you'd have to find somewhere or make anyway.

I'm guilty of creating a new runic alphabet just because I wanted something different for a few of the characters to look at. In my case, if I ever go to print, I'll eventually replace my 'dummy' characters with the appropriate symbols.

If it really is a new LANGUAGE, then there are different rules. You need to have a feel for how it sounds. If it sounds like English, but with some different grammar rules, use English because grammar rules are not for spoken English anyway (most of them). Similarly if it sounds like any major language that you can write in. Some languages have no written form.

If it's completely new, and it's not commonly spoken by everybody in the story, I recommend you don't try to put any words in unless you are also willing to put in a complete lexicon. It will confuse people to no end. Tolkien got away with it. Jordan has tried to get away with it (but time will tell if he was successful). Most don't.

If it's a language that is commonly spoken amongst all the people, but has a different written form, I suggest you use whatever language you would use normally.

Or, if all else fails, rite it fonetikly

saule pazare
July 2nd, 2003, 02:57 AM
I`m writhing one page in my native language, but other in language that I`ve created for my story that`s why I want to use difrent alphabet

wastra
July 3rd, 2003, 08:53 AM
Well, your best bet for now would be to draw the alpahbet or write out the entire section, scan them into the computer using a typical scanner, insert them as photos/pictures, and size them appropriately.

OgreWolf
July 3rd, 2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by wastra
Well, your best bet for now would be to draw the alpahbet or write out the entire section, scan them into the computer using a typical scanner, insert them as photos/pictures, and size them appropriately.

You clearly don't know much about computers (no offense). You don't want to kill your computer, and it would be ALOT of work. Hmm, or did you think to make'em into a font? Might be I misunderstood what you were trying to say. In that case, I apologize.

Anyways, here is a way to do this.

However, you could prolly find a program for creating fonts (try www.tucows.com yes, it's legal) then you could create the letters there, and then "link" them to different keys. Only thing is you would have to kow where you stored which letter. If you want the "bluehd" letter, you might assign this to the letter 'a', so you would have to know which key to press.
Uhhmm, you could try gluing small pieces of paper with the letter to the keys on your keyboard. However, I would not recommend this.

:rolleyes:

wastra
July 7th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Well, I guess it depends on how MUCH of this alphabet you were planning to use. I was considering maybe one section wherea character finds a letter or something. I certainly wouldn't use that method as a "font."

The Font creator would be the best bet either way, most likely.