View Full Version : Frozen Throne

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Bear
July 1st, 2003, 11:22 PM
Great. Just when I thought my addiction to Warcraft 3 had finally ebbed, this little gem came out. Naturally, I couldn't resist scooping it up. And I must say, it's friggin' awesome.

All of my gripes about the multiplayer aspect of the original have been tended to. The new classes/heroes/pricing of units/additional buildings are all great, and there's a lot more balance now. The undead finally have a strong opening, the orc's new hero starts with a much needed heal spell, the elves finally have some affordable air units and some ground units that can really take a hit, and the human's low end troops are actually useful (orcs, too, because of the heal spells). Also, the teiring has been slowed dramatically (no more upping to level three at the beginning of the game--unless you enjoy getting rushed), creeping doesn't benifit you quite so much (which helps stop some rushes), creating a lot of one unit type is pretty useless because of the drastic differences in armor types, potions and Scroll of Town Portals now have an activation time which makes them a lot harder to abuse--really, there's just a lot more balance. I actually enjoy every race now, and though I still prefer the night elves, I'm happy to play any of them.

Really, this is the best expansion I've ever come across. Feels like a new game, because it forces you to change tactics. Gotta love Blizzard.

So, has anyone else picked this up?

snake0024
July 18th, 2003, 02:20 AM
I've got this game too, and I also prefer the night elves. ;) I'm also happy to play any of them, but despite being random, i have yet to play as undead.

Bear
July 18th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Ooohhh. You're missing out. The undead are excellent this go around. The obsidian statues add a lot, and their begnning is ridiculously fast now.

Do you play on Battlenet? If so, what's your tag? I'll add you to my friend's list and maybe we can play some games.

snake0024
July 18th, 2003, 03:28 PM
on b.net im Stonedooom(SP), who are you? Also add Stoneyahoo(SP). If you want to join our clan, yahoo is the leader, and the channel is clan sp

Bear
July 18th, 2003, 05:02 PM
I play under the tag ChickenSandwich. I'll add you to my list. As for clans, I've been in some for FPS games (Tacops, counter-strike, unreal tournament), but they usually require a lot more time than I have and I get booted out. Plus, this is the first RTS game I've played since 99' (Starcraft), so I'm still getting my game back together.

I'll drop you a line if I see you on Bnet, though.

Frostmourne
September 20th, 2003, 04:41 PM
Hey bear I'm Stoneyahoo(SP) the leader of snake0024's clan, I got this game (I think millions did as well) But I agree ITS AWESOME! The 1 player campaign is amazing. My best races are Orc and Undead.

tingmakpuk
October 14th, 2003, 09:33 PM
I have one complaint... the single player campaign. What happened to the story? It's like Chris M. sat down and tried to figure out how he would make every character waffle from good to evil to ambiguous to ambivalent...

And the ending... I was hoping for some closure. But not a chance of that.

On the other hand, the orc RPG was cool.

Bear
October 15th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Truth be told, I haven't touched the campaign. Right when I got it, I logged on to battle.net and that was it. Still haven't seen a lick of it. I'm sure I'll get aorund to it one day though.

Frostmourne
October 15th, 2003, 05:23 PM
O man, Bear, I'm dissapointed, one of the chief reasons I got TFT was the story, and I was not let down. Its amazing to see what everyones up to after SPOILERS!!!

Archimonde died. Also the ending was great.

Bear
October 16th, 2003, 02:12 AM
I'm really infamous for this. Multiplayer is my thing, so I often never play the single player modes unless I'm on some sort of whim. So I still haven't touched the single player of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, WC3, or anything else I've picked up this year. Oh well. Back to battle.net.