SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

juzzza
July 4th, 2003, 06:52 AM
What in the hell was that all about?

I bought the DVD and was HIGHLY disappointed with this movie. On-top of the poor plot, the soundtrack was intentionally scored to annoy the hell out of you.

Why oh why, bill this as a romantic comedy? I'm not a huge fan of the genre anyway but this was DIRE.

Anyone else seen it?

Vladimir
July 4th, 2003, 07:09 AM
but the real question you need to consides is.. why would anyone buy a dvd that has Adam Sandler on it?

I saw the first 10 mins of this one - Adam Sandler is not a good actor - it shows

Edit: wow that's my worst Haiku ever!

Bear
July 4th, 2003, 02:42 PM
I really enjoyed this movie. It was so abstract (then again, everything P.T. Anderson does is pretty odd), and from the opening completely unexplained car-crash on, I was entertained. I thought the soundtrack really fit the movie, too. It was almost grating, which I think was the point. I also dug the very short length, the extremes in the sound editing (how it would go from silent to incredibly loud with no warning or build-up), and...

*spoilers*

I really thought it was great how the entire conflict of the film was settled so easily. No long, drawn out battle. Just a "Hey! Stop doing that!" and an "Okay, I'll stop," and that was it. The car crash near the end was incredibly well-filmed, too.

*end spoilers*

And though i've never thought Sandler was much of an actor previous to this, I thought he did surprisingly well. His barely suppressed anger and outbursts of sudden violence were both funny (in context of the movie) and oddly believable. So I guess I'm in the minority here, because I really liked this one.

Evil Agent
July 4th, 2003, 02:47 PM
I agree with Bear on this one.

The movie was great! I saw it back in the theatres, and was pleasantly surprised with how different it was from your typical Sandler flick (I like most of them anyway). It seems like I always enjoy an ex-SNL-cast member movie.

Sandler's best?

LITTLE NICKY!

flintorama
July 5th, 2003, 12:28 AM
I also agree. Sandler was great! The film was fantastic! I also found it to be very funny! It also worked on a filmic level, as there was some cool new stuff happening in the movie!(won't go into that as it is for film people)

Why is it that "some people" always need to have a punchline drilled into their head for them to find something funny? Whatever happened to finding humour in characters and real life situations.

Almost all Hollywood romantic comedies have been crap. They are always just a version of either "When Harry met Sally" or "Pretty Woman" nowadays. At least this was a fresh example of a romantic comedy!

Oh and I LOVED the soundtrack! Thought it was great! I guess this is proof some people will just agree to disagree. Of course it didn't have excesive action or "bullet time" but not every film director is perfect!LOL.

Pluvious
July 5th, 2003, 01:51 AM
I'll add my name to the list of satisfied viewers. I really enjoyed the movie and found it though-provoking. I liked it how he kept acting psycho and she wasn't put off by it. Al that really mattered was that he was "there for her" in the end. End of story!

Evil Agent
July 5th, 2003, 01:56 AM
Someone just told me that it was directed/produced/whatever by the same guy that did Boogie Nights, and Magnolia. P.T. Anderson.... Anyway, I found that interesting.

Nevyn
July 5th, 2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Evil Agent
Someone just told me that it was directed/produced/whatever by the same guy that did Boogie Nights, and Magnolia. P.T. Anderson.... Anyway, I found that interesting. And there's your answer juzzza , CHICK FLICK !!! ;) :D

Evil Agent
July 5th, 2003, 02:27 PM
Boogie Nights was NOT a chick flick!

Nevyn
July 6th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Evil Agent
Boogie Nights was NOT a chick flick! Wasn't good either !!!:D