PDA

View Full Version : What horror book are you reading for this month of July?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Shayna
July 5th, 2003, 10:24 PM
There are so many horror books out there, how do we keep up?

I just got "The Gunslinger" (the revised version) and would like to know if anyone else has picked it up? This is one book I can't wait to see what changes or additions he has come up with!!

I have the first series, but really want to update this series and buy the rest!:D

dragondrool
July 6th, 2003, 11:18 AM
I got it the day it came out. I won't be able to compare it to the old version, though, unless I read both. It's been so many years I remember nothing at all of it.

Shayna
July 6th, 2003, 06:22 PM
It is the same thing with me! I have both books in front of me and am not sure where to start. I guess the only thing to do is read them both! lol

Of course will start with the older version and like you said...I haven't read them for some time!

But, I have to say one thing....isn't Michael Whelans' art awesome! I don't think anything can compare!!!! :D

Evil Agent
July 6th, 2003, 06:43 PM
When did the revised edition come out? I wasn't aware that it was available yet...

I too want to re-read the first one, and then compare them. It seems annoying, but I think that's what I'll do (I just finished Wizard and Glass).

So I'll skim over the original Gunslinger, Read the revised, and then wait for the next 3 volumes...

SPOILERS
-
-
-
I just opened the original Gunslinger the other day when I was thinking about this, and I think I spotted an inconsistency right away... Roland was having a flashback to Susan and her fate (which I didn't remember as being in the first book at all), and it as all different from Wizard and Glass

It said that Roland was bound in one of those wooden things, forced to watch Susan die, and she was screaming "The Boy, roland, remember the Boy!"..... wow, that doesn't make any sense according to what ended up happening...

Hobbit
July 6th, 2003, 07:33 PM
According to Amazon, in the UK we will get the book on 18th August 2003, with a very different cover: here (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0340829753.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg).

I'm quite looking forward to this - in the States though, you have the HB the TPB and the normal PB already, I see! They're also offering a copy of the Drawing of the Three in HB with a new introduction in July too.

Hobbit

Shayna
July 6th, 2003, 08:14 PM
For some reason...I got the TPB before the HB. For various reasons, unknown to me, It isn't out yet. I had always presumed they would bring the HB out first!

Like the Wolves of Calla, We will not see this book until sometime in November! Do you know when (in the UK) you will be issued this?

I can get the other three in TPB now, but i can only read one book at a time! hehe
;)

Hobbit
July 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM
The projected Amazon date is the 4th November here, Shayna.

Here's the cover (http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0340827157.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg)

The price given here though is 25! (That's about $42) Unless this is a special edition, thats about 8 ( $13) more than most HB's here in the UK - or to put it another way, the full price for the HB of Wolves and the PB of the Gunslinger combined!

This must either be a special edition or a VERY large book... but the Amazon site says 640 pages!

Hobbit

Shayna
July 7th, 2003, 07:16 PM
thanx for the photo, Hobbit!! love it!

as for the price of the book....$42. is what we pay for Hardcovers here! That is why I go for the TPB!! And don't forget....we pay tax on top of that!!! :D

Evil Agent
July 7th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Yay! I just checked out Chapters in Vancouver, and they have the new Gunslinger! Gonna pick it up tomorrow.

Hobbit
July 8th, 2003, 01:11 AM
The last time I bought books from the States (haven't bought any from Canada, Shayna :D) the price was about $25 (not including the postage!), so this is more than a third increase in price. Although no doubt I will be able to buy it cheaper, it does seem a little steep.

Is Mr King/publishers making his/their money before his retirement? :)

Guess we're a little off-topic here (as I'm sure like me many will still buy the book whatever the price) but I was shocked by that.

Hobbit